Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Imperial Clover

Old 03-18-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Imperial Clover

I'm getting ready to plant my Imperial Clover on my 1/4 acre sight once the weather stays warm enough. The Whitetail Institute recommends that you sew the Imperial Clover seed no more than 1/4". Do you guys think that if I broadcast the seed and then lighty rake my sight it will be good enought to bury the seed?? The next question I had was that I have a bag that will plant 1/2 acre, my plot size is 1/4 acre. Should I overseed my plot with the entire bag, or will overseeding cause problems? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Imperial Clover

Q #1. Yes.

Q #2. Don't overseed it. Save it. You can replant certain areas that need additional seed if needed with the rest of the bag. just my .02
Old 03-19-2005, 05:59 PM

where are you located?

yes, broadcasting clover seed and then lightly raking before a decent rain has produced many good stands of clover. i would also agree (w/ paul) that overseeding is not the best use of your extra seed.

spring clover plantings can be risky b/c clover needs time to establish its root system to withstand prolonged dry periods (i.e. july, august, and sept.). i prefer planting clover in the fall.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

what is on the ground right now? grass, weeds?

i have reseeded a few lawns before. my method was to use a dethatcher on a push lawnmower. a dethatcher looks like a mower blade, but it isn't sharp. it has a sturdy spring wire that scrapes the ground and pulls out grass and weeds.

using a rake would suck. try using a dethatcher instead. just run it for a little bit so that you can see how it works, then broadcast your seed then run the mower over it. the blade is less than $15 at walmart.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dethatch the area sow the seed prior to a rain and let the rain set the seed,yes you can plant the extra seed, wont hurt a thing , will make the field rank with clover. I just had a customer tell me that he wants me to plant his wildlife seed this spring because I am the only one that gets a good stand, that is because I use a lot of seed at planting time....