Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Imperial Clover?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 AM

Default Imperial Clover?

Had a small plot of Brassicas last fall that went fine, nothing great but it certainly worked.

This Spring, I'd like to plant something for Spring/Summer months. Looks like Clover is a good ticket. Just wondering how Whitetail Imperial Clover withstands heavy browsing. With a small plot, can it regenerate quickly and supply good foliage throughout the summer?

Also, how do clover plots look/perform during the late fall?

If I were to put another small plot in along with the clover plot, what would you choose?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Imperial Clover?

For me... Clover is the king of food plots. I have had good luck with Imperial and red clover. One down side to the clovers, is they need a lot of moisture. If you live in an area that gets very hot and dry, the clover will go dormant.
It also needs lots of lime. A soil test is worth doing for the first thing. Your question about heavy browsing is a good one. If you have a lot of deer, a small food plot, will probably stay grazed to much to last on in to late fall and winter. Otherwise it can withstand cold weather to a degree. Deer will use it all winter, it greens up fairly early in spring also. As far as a second strip. I would go with alfalfa. It has a very deep root and can take dry weather a little better.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Haystack-
Thanks for the reply.

The small plot that I do have, does hold moisture. A good bit infact, probably was too much for my turnips... It also doesn't get constant sun, so it seems like this small plot would be good for clover. I'll give it a try!

The alfalfa is a solid choice for a second plot, and does withstand grazing. Whitetail Institute makes an Alfalfa product that contains clover as well, maybe worth a shot in a similar location.

First thing is first, a solid ph test is in order. Planting times will be coming soon!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

MDYoungBuck,
One word of caution, if you have water-logged ground, or gets excessively wet. Alfalfa will not work to good. It actually likes it on the dry side occasionally. Sounds like a good place for clover though. You are right about it being planting time soon. Early planting is critical for clover. If not planted early, the high temperatures, weeds and grass, will suppress it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was at a hunting show yesterday and talked to folks from Whitetail Institute and they said if your plot is 1/2 acre or smaller that Imperial Clover probably isn't the best choice because the deer will literally devour all of it down to the dirt. He did recommend, that in such a case, perhaps planting a row of an annual around the outside to take some pressure off the clover while providing another viable food source. In planting the annual around the edge or something, you can plant some in the spring to help during the summer and then plant something else in the fall (even if its something generic and cheap like turnips) to help during the fall/winter months.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first plot was a 1/2 acre of Imperial Clover. Its attracted the deer all year. They dug threw the NYS snows to reach it until it got to deep. In late fall it stood nice, and green. I started out having to mow it 1 or 2x a summer. Then as it wore down in yrs the deer devoured it enough I didn't have to mow it as much. Last spring I put in 2 more plots, Alfa rack w/chicory, and chicory w/clover. The deer hammered them too, more than I wanted them too. I figured the extra plots would not cause as much pressure, I mowed them 1x regardless. The deer haven't eatten them to the dirt, but they stand only 4". They LOVE that chicory, and ate it up before the clover & alfalfa. This spring I'm going to redo the original clover plot with just Imperial again.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use IWC for all our small plots - and some of the larger ones too. It grows well and is a good mix.
How small the plot has as much to do with how much other food is around, and the location of the plot (eg. in a bedding compared to a pass through area).

Clovers are definitely best for a small plot. If it gets hammered too much - then you know that you need to expand it or try a time targeted plot like brassica. At least in a small plot its cheap enough to find out through trial and error.

FH
Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

My experience with Imperial Clover started over 10 years ago. I have 4 small plots that average about 1/2 acre. I'vehad it in 3 of the 4 plots since 1995 and it's worked great. I rotate different annuals in the 4th plot but I may switch it to clover this fall.I've tried other clovers but nothing seems to attract like Imp Clover.

My plots usually last about 3-4 years before the weeds take over. I need to start using herbicides to kill the grass and I think I could get 5-6 years. My fields are all bottomground and I strip in Imperial Wintergreens at both ends every fall. It does take some pressure off during the late fall.

It grows so well in the spring that my deer can't keep up with it so I have not needed to plant anything at the ends of the fields in the spring.

POP
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 AM

Thanks for all of the help!

I ordered a 1/4acre bag of the Imperial Clover. I am planning on planting Alfalfa around the edges of the Clover plot, as well as another small plot of Alfalfa.

Should work out great, our fields get mowed usually 2-3 times per year.

My plot was Biologic Maximum last year, and the turnips really worked up the soil. All I should have to do is a quick disc job and throw some seed!

Many Thanks for all your help and responses.

-Sam