Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Northern Wet Food Plot

Old 02-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Northern Wet Food Plot

I would really like to put a few food plots in at the property I hunt. I know basically nothing about food plots for deer. I am up to speed on the terminology, and soil science though.

The property is in the central/northern portion of the UP of MI (Appx. 30 miles south of Lake Superior), so the growing season is short, and by deer season (rifle), steady frosts have been around for usually a few weeks at least.

The property is also very wet. Portions of very thick cedar, and the remaining areas (where we hunt) were machine cut a few years ago, leaving tops and stumps everywhere. Not a lot of standing water, but "swampy". It is not going to be real feasible to clear and till large areas, but I was thinking of several 50' x 50' areas throughout the property.

My questions are, what to plant and what prep work needs to be done?

Thanks in advance

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Northern Wet Food Plot

sounds like a really tough Food plot area -

Not that it cannot be done - but if its as wet as it sounds -
the plots will flood and rot.

In this case - I'd go cheap - and use a cereal grain - some Rye or oats. Maybe mix in a brassica or annual clover. but NO GRASSES.

If you end up having to reseed a couple times a year - at least it wont cost much. But if you cannot Mow - or work the property - its not likely you will ever have a reasonably viable plot.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:39 AM

Thanks.

The areas I am thinking of working on are never under water, and nearby spots where we have done some clearing/grading were planted with rye. More to establish a base of vegetation, and to sure up the ground than a food plot, but it came in great, and the deer seemed to like that.

I was thinking of doing similar to that for "food plots" and like you noted, maybe mixing in some other seed.

Is there anything that grows better in a climate/region like northern Michigan? I remember talking with someone a few years ago and they said something about a plant that is actually better and draws more deer after it frosts.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 03-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Did you get my e-mail?
If not PM me
ORIGINAL: Rustyaxecamp

Thanks.

The areas I am thinking of working on are never under water, and nearby spots where we have done some clearing/grading were planted with rye. More to establish a base of vegetation, and to sure up the ground than a food plot, but it came in great, and the deer seemed to like that.

I was thinking of doing similar to that for "food plots" and like you noted, maybe mixing in some other seed.

Is there anything that grows better in a climate/region like northern Michigan? I remember talking with someone a few years ago and they said something about a plant that is actually better and draws more deer after it frosts.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 03-01-2005, 11:02 AM

answerguy - Got it. I will give that site a look. Thanks!

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 03-02-2005, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Rusty, I have a couple plots that stay wet all spring. I've tried most of the shallow growing plants and have had good success with clover. Right now it's in it's third year with imperial clover.

I had to get my pH adjusted from a 5.5 to a mid 6 but I'll tell you that the clover pulls some more deer. I had the grains just down the hollow and they struggled. I don't no if it was to wet or what but it didn't do much.