Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Northern California Food Plots

Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 AM

Default Northern California Food Plots

Hey y'all, I have some property which is like mule deer and pronghorn heaven, it is in Lassen, California. I was wanting to plant like a 10 acre turnip food plot, with clover. Can you give me any advice on what the mule deer and pronghorn like and what it might cost.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Northern California Food Plots

There's really not a need to plant the whole 10 acres. 2, 1/2 acre plots would do well. Possibly a long narrow one on a transition zone( fenceline or woodline) . And a round or square one on the far side of where you enter, given the wind blows right for it's location. After a few years you may have enough traffic to increase the size. This place is high but should give you a refference to seed planting dates for your zone.
http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/usazonemap.html
You will have to get a soil sample and send it off for analysis. Your county extension office should help you there. Also ask them about food plots, they most likely will have information may even have a website with the guides online. As should your state dnr. The soil sample will give you the requirements of lyme and fertilize needed. As far as seed it's hard to beat what your local farm supply store has in stock. They should only sell what is popular in your area. Go there then post back and I'm sure people will respond on what they like. As far as what the 2 eat. the same thing as whitetail will cover them. You may want to considder an annual seed blend to get used to it. Turnips are a great start. But a good mixture for your area is hard to beat. You can always sew a turnip patch extra along with the two small plots. Just buy a pound of 7 top for less than $10. Let's say an acre of seed lyme and fert, if you already have equipment should run $200 or less. If you have to hire it out maybe $300. I am high balling the price because your area should be higher than mine. I spend about $50 a year on foodplots, but there is much less lyme and fert used on existing plots.
Blessings