Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Want to plant some fruit bearing brush. >

Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

Old 01-28-2002, 09:44 AM

Default RE: Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

Natty, the red stemmed plant that you described sounds like red-oiser dogwood (Cornus sericea) or (Cornus stolonifera), not sure which scientific name is being used in the botanical world. Check out this link. http://www.yale.edu/fes505b/redosier.html

Has a decent picture of it, but will eventually become very stalky growing branches from all over the place. It is actually a good plant, for food and cover. Many species of birds and mammals will commonly eat this plant, not only deer.

You said you are interested in learning the brush and vegetation in the area. I suggest looking to buy Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. It has a key in the front which helps you identify any plant or shrub quickly and easily. 99% of what you look for will be in there.

Rob
Old 01-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stealthycat; I know what you're saying about persimmons providing winter food. I just meant that we're really pushing the climate limit on Persimmons up here.

Dan O.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:00 PM

It appears we found a winner, the red osier dogwood. I got quite a bit of it in the front of my property and maybe with some tending I could transplant some it while maintaining some control. The only problem is the berries are gone by end of September. I was grouse hunting on some state land 2 weeks ago and there was this brush with a bright red berry that grew in clumps, 3/8" dia., had thorns and had branches that were light tan.
Visited my place this past weekend and for the second winter in a row the deer are wintering in my woods. There were tracks everywhere and quite a parade by most of my fixed stands. The snow didn't seem to be causing the deer any great problems, they were able to scrape to the bare ground and their tracks showed them moving from stump to stump eating browse. Should be another good year this fall.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:38 PM

Natty, if you are gonna transplant, check the growing conditions that it needs. Just a guess, I would say that it likes wet areas, I've never seen it in true upland (not that it won't grow there, I'm not really sure).

Rob
Old 01-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on planting it in wet areas. I've got a few patches on the side of a hill but they're in depressions where water collects. They need full sun for good growth.

Dan O.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:18 PM

Wild plums are offered for planting by New York's state nursey, so I guess their OK to plant in New York. And my lands all bottom land, there are a few apple trees in the area along with Hickory, and swamp oaks.