Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Want to plant some fruit bearing brush. >

Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

Old 01-07-2002, 07:14 PM

Default Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

I own 44 acres of bottom land; mostly maple and ash; that I had logged in 2000. I told my logger to leave all the tree tops as they fell, to provide cover for the deer. This will only last a couple of years till the tops rot and fall down. We cleared 3 areas for clover food plots and I want to add some fruit bearing brush or brouse that will provide future cover. I want to plant pockets of this brush near the food plots and provide security funnels for the deer to try to infuence they movement thru my woods.
The woods is fairly open right now and I thought I could line some of the skidder trails with this brush. I'm looking at Silky Dogwood, Cardinal Autumn Olive, and High Bush Cranberry. Has anyone have any experience in this area.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

We plant mushmellon here, it has 37% protien and puts the weight and racks on em here.

Chris
Old 01-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I'd say plant blueberry bushes or honeysuckle. Both grow well here in NY, and will provide cover
Old 01-08-2002, 07:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2002, 01:11 PM

While dogwood and honeysuckle are very good choices, you might want to consider planting wild plum. The wild plum produces fruit that deer turkey and alot of wildlife love. It normally wont get too tall, will produce thick dense cover and it will do well in New York. This website might give you some more info and some idea's http://progressivefarmer.com/ruralsportsman/default.asp
Also check with your states Forestry Dept. or County Ext agent for more info on what will grow best in your area.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had good success with dogwoods and serviceberries (saskatoon). My latest plantings are hazelnuts and mulberries, but the deer are grazing the mulberries to the ground.

Dan O.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info, but I still have as many choices as I had Before. My land tends to be very wet in early spring, so it will limit my selection. I needs plants that will be moisture tolerant.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dogwoods or willows should fit your needs. Or, even though it sounds strange, the deer use my cattail swamp as they're main daytime bedding area.

Dan O.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:01 PM

Most of the big deer I've taken have been from stands right on the edge of my swamp, but it can be very spotty when I have lot's of water. Sometimes I just like hunting on the dry side of my property, so I'm been working to change my woods from a place that they just walk thru to one they'll, feed and bed in.

Quick Reply: Want to plant some fruit bearing brush.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.