Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Round Up Ready Soybeans

Old 01-15-2005, 02:46 PM
J B

Default Round Up Ready Soybeans

Hello, I've seen Round Up Ready soybeans mentioned here a few times and I'm considering planting some of them this spring. What seed population do you plant when you use them for food plots? What's the cost per bag or acre? I was also wondering if anyone has had experience with interplanting sunflowers, sorghum, milo or millet between corn rows? I'm trying to make the most of my small acrage and I may give that a try also. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:14 PM
J B

Default RE: Round Up Ready Soybeans

I forgot to ask if anyone has ever broadcast brassica seed over existing clover plot for a winter food supply. Will the brassica germinate through a good stand of clover. Will the clover stand take any hurt from doing this?What do you think?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

JB cant help you on post #2, but RR soybeans are 28.80 per 50# unit and one unit will about plant an acre, RR corn is about 110. and it will plant 3 acres. I would not integrate the seed, you really cant, each requires a different plate in your planter, I would plant them a strip of beans strip ob sunflowers , strip of corn, then alternate again and , remember the sunflowers are not RR, , lay your field out in the width of strips based on the width of your planter, then plant all your corn , it goes in first , then couple weeks later the beans go in, then the sunflowers, believe me the sunflowers probably wont get very high if you have a lot of deer, I hope this layout was understandable.....
Old 01-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

How big is your plot.?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

JB -

Ron has given you great info on the prices and planting suggestions. I've never planted strips of Sorghum or Milo in between rows. I have planted RR soybeans in WIDE (30 yds) strips between WIDE corn Strips - 50-70yds wide

It worked really well - especially since I could spray it all at once with Roundup. My beans in the picture are planted about 1/2 the rate Ron suggested because I planted in 30" rows - thus my 50# bag planted about 2 acres - maybe a little more. Next year - I plan to plant 15" rows - and increase the yeild/acre.

Sunflowers are not Round Up tolerant - so you have to be careful where you plant them around RR crops. We planted Sunflowers with corn one year - The did well - but we had alot weeds too. In the end - the deer ignored our sunflowers - but we had tons of birds - songbirds I mean. I enjoyed the plot as much as any I've ever planted - but the deer did not.

We are planting Clover in the fields following RR Beans, This is because we can just "roll" in the seed in the spring (love that round up)- and save on tillage, disking, etc. We are going to experiment with Brassicas next spring too.

We plant RR Beans following RR corn (sometines RR corn following RR corn if the Nitrogen levels are still decent.)

I Don't think you can broadcast brassicas in an established clover plot and expect much. I've planted Dwarf Essex Rape with clover int he spring - it did real well - and was a good nurse crop in a dry summer for the establishing clover.

Good luck - take some pictures and let us know how things work out next Spring.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
J B

Ron, my plot is 2 acres. It will be split into 3 crops (.80 acre beans, .40 acre corn, and .80 acre clover). Thanks for the info guys!