Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Lime questions

Old 12-26-2004, 07:41 AM

Default Lime questions

I would like to lime the area I want to plant this winter. Is there any problems with putting lime on top of snow or on frozen ground? I was also going to buy the lime in loose bulk and spread it by shoveling it out of the back of my pick up. Is there anyting wrong with this method?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lime questions

Both ideas will work, shoveling a ton of lime per acre will be no east task, dont overdo it.........However it is a little late to be planting anything..
Old 12-29-2004, 03:40 PM

One word of warning, that lime is heavy, expecially if it is wet. Don't let them fill up your truck bed or you may have over a ton on the truck. The darn stuff is deceiving. Every time I have got it, I ended with 400-500 lbs. more than I wanted. You better have some aggressive tires on that pickup.

Putting lime on now will give it a chance to work in before planting in the spring as it takes a few months to do its work.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I said dont overdo it, I meant shovel yourself into a heart attack, I didnt mean to overdo the lime, Liming is like making love to an old maid , you cant overdo it...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:02 AM

Before you do any liming. Take the time now to do a PH test this will help you know the amount of lime, fertilzer, etc. It costs little but saves alot. Both time, money and labor. Keep it simple! On top of snow or before a good rain is great as long as your lime or fertilizer doesn't get washed down the drain. Look at where the water runs. I have witnessed many dollars and countless hour of labor run right in to a drainage ditch.