Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

wolves/mnt lions to control deer?

Old 03-06-2002, 06:53 AM

Default wolves/mnt lions to control deer?

I was talking with someone who stated that they think wolves and mountian lions should be introduced to control deer populations. What do you think the merits of this idea if any are?? Have there been studies done showing that this is NOT a viable solution? I'm just wondering because I believe I have read somewhere that this didn't work.

-Mike
Old 03-06-2002, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wolves/mnt lions to control deer?

I read before where in Up State NY, or wilderness area, it would take around 700 pairs wolves, and 200 cougars to control the population.

Problem 1: How do you keep the predators in just that area?

Problem 2: How do you train the predators to eat game animals, instead of little boys and girls on vacation, or in their backyard? or for that matter, moms and dads-actually no problem if anti-hunters, but the kids??

Problem 3: What happens when predators over populate an area, and move into population centers. What do we introduce as predators, to control the predators?

Finally, ask him if he likes to vacation in the woods, or rural locations like many families across the nation? If he does, and one of his kids are eaten, would he be sorry, or just look at like he was invading "their" territory.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 03-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2002, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

i don't know about lions, but wolves in NY would be great. Besides, there has never been a recorded unprovoked attack on a human by a wolf.

P.S. i heard that there have been both lion and wolf sightings already in the tug hill area of the 'Dacks
Old 03-06-2002, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

He's not talking about lions and wolves around for the fun of it, like I have around my house in the UP of Michigan, but enough to control the deer populations by themselves, without hunting. Whether the author meant that or not, it is a common anti-hunting move to reconcile the problems of not allowing hunting. There are very few, if any, areas in the US that currently have the populations high enough to control games species by themselves-it would be a different world then.

I have wolves around my house, and when you can't even run your dogs-beagles, plots, walkers, or bird dogs, in areas because they are being killed by wolves, you might think of them as more than a novelty-it happens all the time. I have one friend who has lost 9 beagles, from 11 attacks, by coyotes. If only he had wolves around him too........?

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 03-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Well, here in nebraska I and alot of other people think that the game and parks are releasing mt lions to try and control deer populations. And really it aint the right answer. We have had numerous occasions where mountain lions have wondered throu the middle of towns. The only thing this will create is trouble for those that have kids out in the country and sooner or later the mt population will become out of control. They say there not even going to think about opening a season on em for another 20 years. By that time this state will be over run. I personally have seen a mountain lion in the area i hunt. I personally legal or not will kill a mountain lion if i feel any bit threatened by one. So in summary i feel that releasing mt lions and wolves are not the answer.

"Trophies are not measured in Inches!"
Old 03-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The study North Jeff is talking about was in the Adirondak park where the population of deer is 1-5 deer per square mile. The rest of the state averages 30-40 deer per square mile - If you preyed on deer - where would you take up residence?

The deer population would have to crash first for Wolves to work in Most of NY. The population we have now - is not sustainable by natural predation alone. Anti-hunters blame the DEC for managing for quantity, as populations are at their highest point in history (actually - the mid 1980s were the highest in my area). They are correct that the DEC manages for quantity - to some extent. Obviously, we could issue more permits, and allow more bucks to be taken. However, the habitat is not like it was even 20-30 years ago. Gone are the days of family farms, and much of this land that was relatively open before is now prime bedding ares for deer, with ample food to support large herds.

I read recently that our coyote population takes about equal deer as cars do in New York. (I think it was 10-15% each).

Old 03-07-2002, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the responses. Believe it or not, the conversation I had was civil and the other person was not necessarily an anti.

-Mike
Old 03-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Ontario wolves play an active role in deer population control. This is mostly the culling of diseased, old, young animals. In our case this assists in helping only the fittest animals make it through the winter.

In the case of wolves, you're very lucky if you can get a glimse of them. I have a much greater fear of bears or feral dogs when I'm in the bush.

Dan O.