Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Bedding Areas!!!!!! Question.

Old 03-03-2002, 11:01 PM

Default Bedding Areas!!!!!! Question.

Okay, I have alot of good bedding area near the area that I am planting my food plot this Spring. What is the BEST bedding though. About 95 yards in the woods from this is a THICH hillside that is nothing but greenbriars, crab apple trees, and low hanging trees. Deer REALLY, and I mean REALLY love bedding in their. It is common to have 30 deer bedding in this one area. Well, every summer there is atleast 6 deer that bed in a patch of thick pines, some are stand, some are fallen. The pines are probablly only 30 yards from where the food plot is going to be. Then, right on the edge of where the food plot is, there are several large trees knocked over that have briars around the edges. There are usually three doe and one buck bedding in there. Should I try to make some more bedding areas or will this be good. I am probablly going to go ahead with my idea of cutting a path from my food plot to the pond in the woods. If I do decide to do this, there is going to be ALOT of brush removed. I was thinking about taking this and placing it on the edges of the pines. The pines are thick, but not what I would consider REALLY thick. Would this make deer bed their more?

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-04-2002, 12:05 AM

Default RE: Bedding Areas!!!!!! Question.

if it was me i would move my food plot a little farther away. if the deer feel safe in that area then i would stay away. try planting a 100 yards away if you can and hunt in between the two.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:13 PM

I agree with whitetail1. I wouldn't put to much pressure on those bedding areas. Sounds like the deer like what they have without creating more cover for them.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member QDMA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 03-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Magnet; the deer on my property usually bed during the spring and summer on peaks of hills in tall grass/alfalfa or like you said among apple trees on the side of a hill. The big thing that both places have is a clear view for the deer. In the fall they move to the cattail swamp, cedars or spruces. But again they have visibility and escape routes from where they bed. If you block off their view from one side they may not feel safe.

You may want to use the brush to create deer funnels.

Dan O.

Edited by - dan o. on 03/04/2002 19:46:11
Old 03-04-2002, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Now, here is another thing, does anybody have really good plans for building a feeder or does anybody know where I can find these plans? Thanks.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-08-2002, 06:21 PM

The deer seem to be bedding in the cedar grove near me is that normal.