Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turnip Rape mix?

Old 09-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turnip Rape mix?

I planted two mixes with turnips in them. They both grew very well. let me tell you....I've got turnips! Lots and lots of turnips! They kind of grow half out of the ground...the tops are exposed. When will the deer start eating them.....they do browse on the green tops?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Turnip Rape mix?

One of the funniest things you'll ever see is deer eating turnips. They pull it up and roll it in their teeth, shearing off the greens with their molars. Then they eat the turnip and it is LOUD!
The leaves were still on when I was watching this last year, so probably in the next 3 weeks.
Brian
Old 09-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Having turnips or any other "root" crop can be deer magnates for sure. In my experience, you'll see them really start chowing on them AFTER several hard frosts have killed most all other browse off. Last year I planted 1/2 acre of thumbilina carrots around one of my stands. The deer were ripping the ground up into november trying to get at those carrots. Taz
Old 09-10-2004, 03:39 PM

Deer will start really eating the leafs of the turnips after a good hard frost it makes the sugars in the plant come up into the tops,and that will be when the show will really start.

Goodluck
Old 09-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never saw deer eating the turnips only the tops. But purple top turnip[s do have the top exposed. They are good eating for people, I love em. They are best after a frost hits them, until then they seem a little strong tasting . cook then just like mashed potatoes, some people put a potato in with them and mash them, Ummm cant wait for mine to get big enough...
Old 09-15-2004, 10:23 PM

it's my first time planting turnips. i planted purple-top turnips last weekend in a plot w/ soil ph of 6.0 in fertile s.e. kansas soil. looks like they received 1/2 an inch of rain today ....any recommendations?