Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turnip Food Plots

Old 01-24-2009, 04:17 PM

Default Turnip Food Plots

Hey Guys, This summer I am putting in some food plots on one of my properties, I was thinking 4 Food Plots, one being 1/4 acre, one 1/2 acre and two one acre food plots. I am mainly wanting to put in turnips, how much turnip seed per acre, and what is the expense, and how much lime would be needed. I have all the equipment already, so all I need are tips, and advice.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Turnip Food Plots

Turnips are not fond of hot weather. Lime needs about 4 to 6 months to really do a lot of goodafter you put it out.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to do turnips plant them as a fall plot. I am in Iowa, and I have planted turnips for the past 6 years, I have always planted them sometime between Aug.20 and Sept.5. I don't know where you are located, but if the temps are similar to here the dates I told you work great. Just wait until it looks like you are going to get some rain and put them in. Here is a picture of one of my turnip plots.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a soil test done it will tell your how much lime to add. Timber is right there not a summer crop, plant in the late summer or early fall.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the reccomended rate for food plots is 2# per acre, and they will be the cheapest food plot you ever plant.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

If you plant every season, you may want to look at having acrop rotation. Planting the same vegetation on the same soil year after year can cause disease. Check with your local county extension office regarding crop rotation.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: .243Heartshot Hey Guys, This summer I am putting in some food plots on one of my properties, I was thinking 4 Food Plots, one being 1/4 acre, one 1/2 acre and two one acre food plots.
Get your soil tested so you know how much lime and phosphorus/potassium(fertilizer) you need to apply. Plan your plots out for the next 4 years in rotation. Two perennial clover, two annual - turnips, Round up ready soybeans, what ever.
I am mainly wanting to put in turnips, how much turnip seed per acre, and what is the expense,
Great.Do not over seed, a turnip/brassica mix planted late summer may be more forgiving. In areas with good habit and low deer populations, turnips and brassicas may go untouched. In areas with high deer populations and poor over browsed habitat turnips and brassicas will be gone by end of November.
and how much lime would be needed. I have all the equipment already, so all I need are tips, and advice.
Soil test, soil test, soil test. Do not over seed. Follow soil test recommendations.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Be sure to get all the information on genetically modified seed before you decide to plant it. If you plant gm seed, you may never be able to grow certified organic produce on that parcel. There is a lot we do not know yet about gm seed andits effects to the soil. We do not allow gm seed on our land.