Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PICS) >

Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PICS)

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PICS)

Old 08-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PICS)

I planted some purple top turnips on the 18th of August. I tried them in a couple of spots, one being on a heavily shaded mowed path leading to my corn plot.
My areas with normal amounts of sun light look fine (looks like I seeded to heavy), it is the first picture.
The heavy shaded road planting germinated well also (seeded to heavy there too) but the plants are 10 times as tall. They are all stem with the leaves at the top.
My questions are...
1. Is the tall plants, all stem because of heavy shade??
2. Will these tall plants make any forage and or turnips?? Or should I plan on discing them under and plant cereal grains next weekend when I was planning finishing my food plots with cereal grain planting anyway??
Heres the pics.
Normal looking plants!

Really tall poor looking plants!

Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PICS)

That's pretty neat right there ILL BUCK! Reminds me of a Chia Pet!

Yes it because of too much shade (like when you leave a truck cap on the ground and flip it a couple weeks later). I don't see it growing up to be a forage plot - Maybe if the leave would get off the trees in the next week or too?

I've seen other plants do this before (soybeans on my woods trail to the field)- andeventually they all fall over on a hotdryday and thats about the end ofit.

I'd plant the cereal grain here too. They'lll tolerate Shade better until the leaves fall off, but the shade will hurt it too. - If you decice to disk it over - leave a small spot - andshow us what it looks like later on.

FH
Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Chia Pet!! Now thats funny I dont care who you are!!

Farm hunter you pretty much said what I thought... looks loke some cereal grains are in tact for my killin road!!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Spike

You are right, they are trying to reach sunlight. They have spent much of their energy producinga spinldly stalk and not much leaf area. They can lodge and fall over if the leaves don't allow sunshine soon.