Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Birdsfoot Trefoil

Old 07-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Birdsfoot Trefoil

Just wondering what experiences others have had with birdsfoot trefoil as a wildlife plot. From what I have read it is long-lived, nutritious, and very attractive to wildlife. I'm not seeing any downside.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Birdsfoot Trefoil

It's not as attractive to wildlife as clover, corn, etc. At my property the geese graze it but deer feed on the other crops. On the other hand it does grow better in acid soil so you're liming requirements will be lower.

Dan O.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard its king of expensive, and a little difficult to establish a good plot. I would like to try it in a mix with some clover, but I always seem to forget when I'mbuying clover.

I remember as a kid, a local farmer would mix it in with alfalfa, I always liked the color of the blossoms mixed in the field.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I think I'll stay with the clover.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:14 PM

The DNR in are area of northern MN has planted birdsfoot on some now unused logging roads, and the deer seem to eating the he!! out of it. At least I think its birdsfoot..looks like alfalfa and has some yellow flowers.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I checked my property yesterday for usage of the birdsfoot trefoil. The deer haven't touched a patch 20 feet wide by 300 ft long. On the other hand they're feeding in field on clover and alfalfa. The deer population is low for the property size so thay can pick and choose.

Dan O.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Isn't Birdsfoot trefoil a highly invasive non-native species? I think the DOT here in WI used this as an erosion control planting along the highways and found that it aggressively spread.
Brian
Old 08-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it has pink flowers it's crownvetch, yellow for trefoil. It does take hold and spread. The only good thing is that it controls erosion, it's a nitrogen fixing legume and it improves the soil for other plants to take hold.

Dan O.