Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New to this food plot thing..

Old 08-10-2004, 02:16 PM

Default New to this food plot thing..

Hi, this is the first time I am back in this forum since last winter when I was observing everyone's hunts. I went through all the food plot posts and tried to learn something, which I did.

My family just bought a house that lays on 146 acres in Chatham County, NC (known for it's massive deer population). The land is mainly timber, but the previous owner had made some food plots and put out various stands which he showed us. The house came with a tractor and all the equipment needed to plow and disc and even mow the fields.

Here are some photos of the place, if you have any tips or comments please let me know!

Entrance to driveway...

Our driveway is 1.5 miles to the house, I have seen a lot of deer cross so far!

As you drive in through the gate, about 150 feet down the road there is a big field to the left where I have seen 3 deer bed at night, one of them being a nice buck.

This rack was found by the previous owner on our land, a good sign!

I decided to disc some land between the powerlines, I am putting a Biologic food plot mix.

This is behind the house, a good distance away.

There is a second plot in the middle of the woods...I would say it is an acre or so?

The path and the bigger field needs to be cleaned, which I am working on. I am aslo going to start thinning the woods out soon, the underbrush is just too thick.

As I said, if you see anything that needs/could be done to improve my first season on this property please let me know.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to this food plot thing..

Do your soil test ASAP. I would plant all available areas, using some different types of seeds in those different areas including, but not limited to white clovers and Buck Forage Oats.
Looks like you need to do some select cutting on your pines. It will really help them in their growth.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the input timbercruiser. About the soil-test, is this something that I can do myself by a kit or does someone have to get out here and do it?

We are going to start thinning the timber in about 2 weeks.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Pick a sanctuary area and don't thin it all and don't hunt it. It would best located near the center of the property and have access to water.

I'm envious. If you ever want to trade a deer hunt for a turkey hunt, I'm in Wake county. I have a lease in Warren county with a good turkey population.

Good hunting.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

There should be an agriculture office somewhere close by to you. They have the kits and complete instructions on the correct way to take the sample. If you can't find the office contact a large feed and seed store and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice.......

If your deer pop. is as high as most of your area - You will want to get those food plots up and going. They look real good in size, and location - but the grasses growing there are not helping the deer much.

You have what alot of people on this site really hope for - a blank slate - and the equipment to make it happen.

I'd probably strat by plowing up the plots, sending off several soil samples, and get them in to Cereal Grain, and clover (spearate plots).

Its tough to tell the lay of the land - but it looks very promising for deer.

Good luck, and post for us your progress - we will try to help as you go along.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Hawgnman

Pick a sanctuary area and don't thin it all and don't hunt it. It would best located near the center of the property and have access to water.

I'm envious. If you ever want to trade a deer hunt for a turkey hunt, I'm in Wake county. I have a lease in Warren county with a good turkey population.

Good hunting.
Hi Jim! Actually, my land is surrounded by thousands of acres belonging to timber companies and they come in every 10 years or so and clean rows out and leave. The NC Wildlife Org. chose this place to release a turkey population. If you want turkey, this is a must place to hunt it, I have never been on a turkey hunt. Also we set out traps and keep the fox and other varmints out so the turkey pop. is really high here.

Anyway, if you want to join me this season I would be glad to, I have plenty of land to share, let me know.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 PM

Thank you very much guys, you have been very helpful so far. I had never operated a tractor til a few months ago, so this "farm" life is new, but I enjoy it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:46 AM

Looks like you are on the right track......I am in alamance county and would be willing to swap a sc hog hunt for deer hunt on your land. We have 4000 acres in SC very nice bucks but I got the land for hog hunting. Any questions I can answer please email me at
[email protected] luck!!!