Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

sanctuary or not

Old 07-24-2004, 12:51 PM

Default sanctuary or not

Ive read a lot about qdm and have been practicing it on our 250 acres for about 5 or six years now with some impressive results, my question is about sanctuaries. We are bordered on two sides by a landowner who doesnt hunt and will absolutely not allow anyone on his property, and he doesnt get up around our fence much at all, his property is like a sanctuary for the deer, as they get no hunting pressure on there, should I fence off a few acres in the middle of my property as a sanctuary, or just let the deer use what they already have and use my land for more food plots, and other food sources. My property is mostly oaks, with lots of white oak, and we have one large feeder plot of about 5 acres, with six other small plots 3/4 to 1 acre in size with everything planted from biologic, imperial whitetail, clovers, rye, wheat, oats, turnips, chickory, and a little alfalfa. They have good food, do they need sanctuary in my property, or is the neighbors good enough?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sanctuary or not

Good post -

Your neighbor's sanctuary is enough - BUT
you cannot hunt the border - OR you must regulate how you do and when.

Think of your border - kind of like an underground Shock Collar fence you see for dogs - the deer will, if you hunt the border regularly. Your "sanctuary" should be the corridor the connects your properties.

Still, you can set aside a section (5-20 acres) for limited hunting. It WILL help, especially if it butts up to your Neighbor that doesn't allo hunting - the size of your hunting group will determine if its a possiblity.