Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

N.W.Wisconsin Deer Food plots

Old 07-26-2004, 11:30 AM

Default N.W.Wisconsin Deer Food plots

I'm new to this site so bear with me. I want to put in a few small food plots on some property I own in Sawyer Co, Wi. I've got roughly 2.25 acres worked up of reclaimed forest. I'd like to plant something in the next two weeks. ( I know its getting late) I'm thinking of white clover and chickory and then maybe next spring doing something a little more. You go to the mills and I walk away more confused than I went in there. I look at the bags of premixed seed and most of them are from the southern part of the country. I want some thing that will stay. (clover) But what else. I have some limited farm equipment a tractor, disc, drag, and seeder for the back of the tractor off the 3 pt. hitch. Anyone that has done this in the northern part of Wis. I would like to hear from you. Thank you
Old 07-26-2004, 11:31 AM

Default RE: N.W.Wisconsin Deer Food plots

I forgot to mention that I have sent in a soil sample that should be back this week
Old 07-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: N.W.Wisconsin Deer Food plots

Brad, I think that your best bet now would be to wait for your soil sample results and then apply the appropriate lime and disc it in.
Then, the last week of August, hit it again with a light disc and plant winter wheat or rye. Both are cheap and will readily come up and the deer will be there into the winter. It will come up again early in the spring and give the deer a head start. Then the middle of May disc it under and plant your clover.
This will give you a quick result now and help your plot for next spring.
Brian