Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

"Chainsawing" a new sanctuary?

Old 12-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Default "Chainsawing" a new sanctuary?

There is an area about 15 acres in size on my hunting property that is basically void of anything of value in terms of logs or deer habitat. Crooked trees block out the light with no undergrowth. If I stand at one end of it I can see all the way through it. No oaks or any mast bearing trees. Every year I look at it and wonder if I cut all the trees at about 3-4 feet, but not all the way through, just enough to get the trees to double over, if I could create a tangled mess that the deer might start using for cover. I had another piece of the property partiallylogged off thinking the leftover tops would provide cover but after a year all I was left with was foot high brush piles. Anyone think my chainsawed sanctuary might work?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Chainsawing" a new sanctuary?

Why don't you just bring the trees down in a 1 or 2 acre area, let the light in so new growth can take place. The tangles are only one part of drawing in the deer. The new growth provides food and cover.

Dan O.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing on my land so i would also appreciate some insight that anyone has with this
Old 12-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Fellas, it is a wonderful idea, also it cannot hurt to plant a couple briar bushes in there, they will spread like wildfire and provides TONS of cover
Old 12-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

It's called hinge cutting and can be used to create deer beds.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd consider spriging in some briars and honeysuckle if there isn't any natural stuff that you think will come up quickly.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:38 AM

Dan O. I tried logging off a couple acres and was really surprised that nothing happened afterwards. Nothing grew up but some knee high grass. The tops that were left kinda just rotted or fell down under their own weight and I was left with the weirdest looking section of woods you'll probably ever see. Needless to say there wasn't a lot of deer moving through the area during hunting hours. It is only in year 2 of the cut so maybe some benefits will be gained down the road.

I'll give the briar and huneysuckle a shot, if there is anything to provide some cover in a year or two I'm all for trying it. I'm also thinking about hybrid poplar, 100 of 'em for $40 is definitely in my budget. I'm in WI if that spurs any ideas.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Where are you located, what size (diameter at 4.5') and what kinds of trees are they?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

just curious what if you guys know what the prices are for briar bushes and honeysuckle, and i was thinking about planting some red cedar by me, anyone know how much those cost
Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

"and i was thinking about planting some red cedar by me, anyone know how much those cost"

Deer like cedars for cover. Youmay be able to just dig some small trees up on a farm nearby.

Quick Reply: "Chainsawing" a new sanctuary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.