Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot serving as cover

Old 04-11-2004, 06:54 PM

Default food plot serving as cover

I see on the Whitetail Institute's website, on their page for Power Plant, that there is a guy standing with the plants over his head. On the page it says it will grow 4-6 ft high. Has anyone seen this type of growth? Could this serve as cover for deer between a thicket and a clover/brassica plot? I'm thinking of planting it right on the edge of existing cover to extend what is already there , just before our shorter plots.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:40 AM

Default RE: food plot serving as cover

I read the description...sounds like its peas and beans (They vine and grow like you see) and sorghum...so basically you have a tall fast growing grass, possibly a Sorghum/Sudan grass cross and a mix of vining legumes.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it is growing like that, it seems that the wildlife is not eating it.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:55 PM

well im guessing that in order for it to grow that high, you would have to ensure that deer are kept out of it by using something very effective. maybe plotsaver or something similar?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:00 PM

yeah, ive saw it we grow about the same thing for out cattle there is Pro-Ton and Top, it has sorghum, peas, and sudan in it. It is very fast growing and stays green for a good while.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Jack Brittingham has a DVD on this sort of high cropping idea and his suggestion is sunflowers, millet, iron & clay cowpeas and maybe soybeans also. His statements were the cowpeas and soybeans grow and twist around the taller millet and sunflowers which helps to protect lots of the crop so deer don't browse it all to the ground. This helps to prolong the useful life and provide more tonnage. Later in the fall the sunflowers and millet attract gamebirds and songbirds to the area and the area is still well used by deer for browsing cover. By the way the photos of the crop over the man's head is probably the overflow from the deer enclosure to demonstrate how much tonnage there was without grazing. If you notice the man is standing in much shorter growth.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt property that is a mix of hardwoods (200 acres) and farmland (100 acres). Over the past three years, soy beans have been planted. By bow season in September, they are at least chest high. The first year I hunted those beans, I set up on what I thought were good travel routes from the thicker woods to the beans. I was surprised (though in retrospect I shouldn't have been) to see deer heads pop up over the beans all over the place. With a rifle you could get fairly easy shots - even on a couple nice bucks - but rifle season doesn't open until November. Once the beans start brownin' up they shrivel and lose their protective qualities. By then acorns are dropping and you don't see them much in the fields anyway.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

I guess the deer just bedded in the beans, almost never used the trails, right?