Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Oats in my feeder?

Old 02-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Oats in my feeder?

I have a tri-pod feeder that I've been experimenting with. The local deer feeder mixes have molasis mixed in. That little bit of stickyness makes it lock up in the feeder. So I tried alphelfa pellets and corn. That went through fine, but the pellets broke down in the wet snow and moist melting ground. So now I tried corn and oats, it goes through the feeder fine, but will the deer eat oats off the ground?

Any other mix suggestions that deer like and will easily go through my feeder?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Oats in my feeder?

They'll eat the oats and have you tried soybeans, or you could get them to make you a custom mix that you want and have them put in less molasses. The deer that I have been feeding have stopped eating the commercial deer mix and now I have to switch back to my original feed again. The only bad news is that limpy stopped coming in and now we have another doe that her front leg is broken and we found a dead deer when we went shed hunting, it was a button buck that couldn't make it thru all the snow we got up here several weeks ago.

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 02-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Corn and Soybeans (roasted if you can find them). Raw peanuts would be very good.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:25 AM

oh yes my friend..the deer will clean that oats up off the ground like a hoover vaccum. they will paw and paw until they get all of it....i usually feed the deer a pail of oats a day just behind our barn for a treat over winter....every morning the pile of oats is all gone.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:39 PM

Oats are good, but I mix a bag of deer pellets with corn. IT is high in protien and minerals.