Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot question

Old 01-05-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Food Plot question

I live in S.W. Virginia, and one of the areas I hunt has a 1/2 acre field that was once a home site. I have been planning on planting a food plot for this coming year. Do ya'll have any ideas on what to plant, when to plant, ect.? The area is surrounded by thickets on 2 sides, and dense woods on the other two. It gets plenty of sunlight. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Food Plot question

First things first... Do soil samples in the area to be planted. Then start fallowing the ground of weeds and grasses. If you can Round-Up and then do a slow burn that is the best. If you do not rid the area of the grasses/weeds your asking for greif in the not so distant future.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:29 AM

flyfisher18,
Sounds like you have a very good spot for a food plot. You definately need to do a soil test first and send it to the Coop Ext. Service at VA Tech as soon as possible. If you can get a tractor or a walk behind tiller to the field I recommend you go with a perenial clover mix you can plant in the spring from mid-March to mid-April in your area. You will need to get rid of the grasses and weeds, as lunchbucket said,and add lime a fertilizer as recommended. Plow, disc and/or till to make a nice seed bed to plant in. I like clover because when planted properly it last 3 to 5 years and provides excellent nutrition year round. I have used Imperial Whitetail Clover with very good results in Bedford and Halifax counties. Others have used Biologic as well as mixed their own blends, the choice is yours.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-12-2002, 08:50 PM

i would give either imperial or biologic a try
Old 01-13-2002, 06:40 PM

Ive tried different things that cost big money. i say wheat and rye and clover. I Leave some cover type weeds and brush so the deer will feel safe. Thus splitting up the area. I found that the big boys wont come out in a nice pretty field as good as they will in a field that has some cover. they are used to weeds on their plate !!