Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What type of clover

Old 12-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What type of clover

What's a good type of clover to plant for deer? Can I buy this at Southern States? I'll be making a few acre plot at the farm in the spring and I'm looking at trying different brands.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What type of clover

Acutally a clover mix is usually the best for a foodplot. Red Clover for quick growth, Ladino for taste and plot longevity, and Dutch white clover as a low growing type for when deer hit the Red and Ladino hard. A third of each will give you a great clover plot. Buy from a local mill, no need for the expensive deer mixes.

Most importantly for a clover plot is to lime and fertilize just as a farmer would for alfalfa. Get the PH above 6, no nitrogen, a little phosphorus, and lot of potassium. A good soil test will tell you exactly what you need, and is the first place to start.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

To add to what's been listed so far, try to get some Durana clover also. It's a new variety of ladino and seems to grow well. It handles heavy grazing better and from what I've seen it will also compete with weeds better than ladino. I've got one of my plots sewn with the Durana and I'm impressed so far.

I prefer to keep the different varieties planted in seperate locations. This way I can tell which the deer prefer and which grow better in my area. Then when I figure out which types did the best I can combine them into a mixture.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Do soil samples and dig some holes on the area you wish to plant. The best clovers are the Ladino types, however, they need a heavier soil with a top soil depth of 8-12 inches because they are shallow rooted.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the south - plant ladino (6-8 lbs/acre) - with 2 lbs/acre crimson clover (annual) - the annual will grow fast and help shade the slower growing Ladino.

Good luck.