Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What Crops?

Old 12-14-2003, 08:30 PM

Default What Crops?

I can plant about 8-10 acres of plots. the land lies between hardwood stands and pine pulp wood stands. It is the tailings of a coal strip mine that has been out of operation for 15 years or so. It is mostly fine rock covered lightly with soil and sown with the grass to prevent erosion. I don't know how well it will support a crop of any kind, though any that it will support will help the deer and the land.

The land is covered with a long stem fescue grass and common weeds. The deer feed on this very regularly, I have not determined what exactly, the grass or weeds, but have watched them feeding and their root digging is quite obvious, especially so since the acorn crop did not do well this year.

There is no farm land under cultivation for 20 miles in any direction. The deer feed strictly ala nature. What can I plant that will not only enhance their diet, but be attractive to them as well. I want to keep the plots about an acre or so in size, breaking them up and even using different crops in each one. I have no idea about buck/doe ratios other than I can say there are too many deer for the land. I live in Dekalb Co. Alabama (Mentone) Suggestions?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Crops?

First off I would recommend getting soil samples done for each area to be planted. This should give you an idea of what you will be able to grow. You can grow most anything on most any type of soil IF you have the money to get the soil where it needs to be.

Clover is one of the basics. Not too hard to grow and provides good nutrition and high protein for the deer. Corn and soybeans are also good. In my area winter or annual rye is a good choice also and tends to grow anywhere but the deer don't seem to eat it well until late winter. Winter wheat works well and is fairly easy to grow. Alfalfa is one of the best but is probably the hardest crop to get established. Although I haven't tried it, buckwheat is supposedly an excellent summer crop.

With the amount of land you have to work with you should try as many different crops as possible. Some for spring, some for summer, some for fall, and some for winter. This way there will be plenty for the herd to eat year round.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Ballistctip, get soil tests, lime/fertilize and plant clover. This should help to enrich the soil as well as drawing deer. With 2" of soil you may need to investigate other legumes/grasses that are adapted to grassland environments. You can't grow anything with tap roots and depending on the slope the land will be flooded and then so dry that most plants die off. I've got a section of old quarry that is somewhat the same. I've planted trees (pines) that can stand the dryness anywhere the soil is mounded (6 - 12") deep. Next year I'm trying Europian Larch because they're supposed to like this type od environment and improve the soil quickly by building up a heavy litter.

Dan O.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:18 PM

crown vetch!!

the highway department plants that anywhere and the deer love it!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Do the soil samples first...