HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What Crops?
Thread: What Crops?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 08:30 PM
JPH45

Default What Crops?

I can plant about 8-10 acres of plots. the land lies between hardwood stands and pine pulp wood stands. It is the tailings of a coal strip mine that has been out of operation for 15 years or so. It is mostly fine rock covered lightly with soil and sown with the grass to prevent erosion. I don't know how well it will support a crop of any kind, though any that it will support will help the deer and the land.

The land is covered with a long stem fescue grass and common weeds. The deer feed on this very regularly, I have not determined what exactly, the grass or weeds, but have watched them feeding and their root digging is quite obvious, especially so since the acorn crop did not do well this year.

There is no farm land under cultivation for 20 miles in any direction. The deer feed strictly ala nature. What can I plant that will not only enhance their diet, but be attractive to them as well. I want to keep the plots about an acre or so in size, breaking them up and even using different crops in each one. I have no idea about buck/doe ratios other than I can say there are too many deer for the land. I live in Dekalb Co. Alabama (Mentone) Suggestions?