Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Vote: Corn, clover, soybeans, rye, or other?? >

Vote: Corn, clover, soybeans, rye, or other??

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Vote: Corn, clover, soybeans, rye, or other??

Old 11-19-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Vote: Corn, clover, soybeans, rye, or other??

Which is the best for atracting deer and the best for making big racks?

Old 11-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Vote: Corn, clover, soybeans, rye, or other??

Clover, soybeans, oak, corn, apples, small grains. But there are so many other crops that could be included that you need to assess your situation, location etc. and plant accordingly. If you only have a small area you should plant the cherry. If you have more land available you plant for year round nourishment.

Dan O.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which is the best for atracting deer and the best for making big racks?
limited hunting - and TIME.

Really - If your looking at increasing rack size - food plots are the last place to concentrate.

Consider your situation and your hunting options - once done - high protein plots on Neutral Ph soils will slightly help.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:38 AM

provide plenty of good foods and let them deer grow older.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:20 AM

Age is definetly the biggest factor in antler growth. After that, nutrition will come into play. Protein plots from legumes may help the most during the antler velvet stage. Grains, like corn. can provide late winter energy source that can keep deer in good shape allowing them to attain maximum growth the follow year from your legume plots. Overall, if deer population is around 20 deer per square mile in an agricultural area in my neck of the woods, I believe food plots will have only limited impacts on nutrition and that will be during late winter and late summer.

Many people in my area consider a 2.5 year old deer a trophy. Most of 2.5 year old bucks will score somewhere between 90 and 115 B&C inches in my area. Most hunters never get to see a 3.5 year or older buck in the wild. It' s amazing what a few years of age will produce on a buck' s head.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-23-2003, 09:48 AM

Another thing that I have noticed. If you plant a plot with a crop that the deer are not familiar with, it may take into the second year before they will start working it regularily. When I planted rape, the first year it just died out. The second year the plot is gone! I believe the turkeys also helped destroying it.

Russ
Old 11-24-2003, 01:17 PM

try feeding goat feed
Old 11-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Age, nutrition and genetics. If the deer is not 3.5 - 4.5 yrs old is has not started to mature. If the deer does not have the genetics it cannot possibly produce. If the deer has the genetics and is allowed to age but does not have the proper nutrition the equation is imbalanced and genetic potential will not be reached. High protein during the antler/lactation period are a good start. Other things such foods high in carbs during the Sept. - March period are another. Good vitamin/mineral content in the soil is a must or supplements must be put out. A forage crop with some supplements during the green up period is a good start. Some high carb annuals for after is next. Each management area has it' s own unique needs.