Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 soybeans or corn? >

soybeans or corn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

soybeans or corn?

Old 07-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default soybeans or corn?

I have a new spot to hunt this year. It is a narrow funnel of woods and a creek that cut through a soybean field on one side and corn on the other. Which side do you think the deer will most likely be on, soybeans or corn, or will they most likely go back and forth?
I figure the later. I've seen lots of tracks on the corn side and seen a few deer out in the beans.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: soybeans or corn?

Well I would definately walk to your stand through the beans because the deer may be bedding in the corn. I think that deer like beans and corn. I would alternate sides depending on the wind.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a big fan of hunting soy beans. The big boys don't like the openness of the cover from what I've seen.

The farm I have been hunting in Ohio has both, and I've seen more activity along the edges of the corn fields than anywhere else.

The 2 huge bucks I've seen on that farm from my stand in the past 2 seasons were both skirting the corn field. (And my stand[:@])
Old 07-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

i personally would set up at the edge of the beens in evening and the corn for morning providing the wind is right. the deer will come out to feed in the beans in the evening and go back to the corn to bed in the morn. just my opinion

hunt all day and you will see more deer
Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Here i would focice primilary on the corn.

it seams most of the deer i have sean in soy beans were before or after shooting time.

They seam to like the corn better and stay in it later in the morings and come to it early in the afternoons or they just bed in it.

now after the crops are harvested they seam to go to the beans better.

i guess due to more of the crop being left on the ground
Old 07-28-2004, 11:31 PM

Your chances have to better hunting the standing corn side. However, notice I said STANDING corn. Is it seed corn or commercial corn you're talking about....because if it's seed corn, chances are it will be off before bow season opens (I know if your season is anything like Michigan's, if it is standing at the begining of the season it won't be standing very long). Therefore, if it's seed corn, plan on hunting along the soybean field. There will be abundant food during much of the bow season.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:51 AM

It has been my experience that the sow beans are good up untill about September and then the leaves get hard and the deer quit eating them. Our season don't start until Oct. 1. On the other hand corn is always great even if it has been cut there will be corn all over the ground and deer will be there. I sey set up on the corn.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would hunt the staging area next to the beans if you can find it.Otherwise i would look for the most heavily used trail leading in to either field and try to set-up on the downwind side of their travel route.jmo.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corn
Old 07-29-2004, 07:53 AM

If you have the time, I would try to sit off in the distance a couple of mornings and evenings and glass the bean field, see if there is even anything you would shoot at that comes along durring what will be shooting hours. Like jsasker said, also think about just sitting in the middle of the woods in the early afternoon. There is a wooded area between two fields on my property where does usualy start appearing
arround 2 ish. They come from where ever, to this area, get a drink, hang arround, and brows for a couple of hours, then go back and bed down for a while before hitting the fields for the night. What ever you do try to work it from the outside in, if you have the time. What I mean is start setting up where you will be the least intrusive and have the least chance of bumping into deer on your way into and out of your spot. You can adjust your set up location in a day or two as you start getting a feel as to how the deer are traveling, to where, and at what time. Good luck with your new spot!

Quick Reply: soybeans or corn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.