Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

discer for ATV

Old 11-06-2003, 03:29 AM

Default RE: discer for ATV

Strutter,
you mentioned that your disc tends to walk around on you, and I have the same problem. My disc is similar to Ballistictips' s disc,but the angle of my disc axles(not a farmer, probably not correct terminology) are much more severe. They are adjustable on mine but I was told that I would break up the ground better/faster if I kept them pointed in all the way. So Ballistictip, if your disc is working good, then I can probably set my blades more like yours and cut out some of the disc' s " walking" .
Old 11-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Mine does do the crab walk but not very bad. You have to go slightly faster then a good hard walk before it happens. If you can get someone to stand on it it helps tremendously. I' m tying do figure out a way to use sand for weights thinking it would help out kind of like the way a deadblow hammer works.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM

L2HNF---I have a set of farm discs that are adjustable from the tractor. I don' t know what you have but if you can get the discs to run in the direction of travel and not turn over the soil they won' t crab. When you decide how much of an angle you need to till correctly pernaps you can drill a hole and pin it. Would make it more convenient to use.[&:]
Old 11-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Spike

Welcome to the world of foodplots. Let me say first soil test. Now that that is said try Monroe tuffline. They are located in MS and they make three different models of disc for ATV' s. I have their biggest one and I also own one that I made similar to the one shown above. The one I have from them was expensive but you get what you pay for. With my old one the ground had to be disced by a tractor and I could keept it going with my ATV. But the one I got now has no problems with fresh ground. I have to say thought if I could go back now I would probally bought a used tractor with implements. It is just easier and quicker. I have seen used tractors for the same price I paided for my disc. Monroe has a web page you can look at, but you will probally have to get a tractor supply place to order it for you. Good luck hope this helps. Food plots grow bigger Deer.........
Gabe
Old 11-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Spike

I took one of the bolts from mine earlier this year and adjusted the angle of the blades to nearly straight. You could then pull the disc fast as you wanted with no crabwalking but it wouldn' t cut anything. I am now going to fabricate a system to adjust the discs to whatever angle I want and try to reach a happy medium so it will cut good and walk less. I may add about 50 lbs to each edge first and see what that does for it.