Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

discer for ATV

Old 11-03-2003, 01:40 PM

Default discer for ATV

Hi all,

I am going to try my hand at doing a few small food plots next year. where on earth do I get a discer for an atv?
thanks,

beej
Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: discer for ATV

Here' s a picture of the disc I use.

I bought it used for $30 from an older gentleman who didn' t use it anymore. It was made to be pulled behind a small lawn/garden tractor. I had to modify it just a little to pull it behind an atv. The weights I used on it are large block off plates for pipe. It took roughly 3 hours to get it ready to go to work. It works great as long as the ground isn' t too dry. A medium to large sized tractor would be a lot better and faster but considering the extra cash they cost I' ll have to stick with my little disc until I win the lottery. I have pictures of some plots that I have disced with it. Go to my website below and click on the food plot pics button. Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Notice the weights, those make a heck of a difference. The pull behind I use on my Kodiak is nothing like the discs our tractors pull. The weight makes all the difference in the world.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:10 PM

thanks for the info guys...

what kind of store do you go to for the discer if you can' t find one used?
the atv store? I can' t seem to find any on the internet (I take that back, I did find one, but it was some monster of a contraption that had something like 8 implements in one.)
thanks again...

beej
Old 11-04-2003, 04:00 PM

I' m pretty sure that you can find these discs in Bass Pro Shop Catalogs. I can' t find my catalog right now but I know I have seen them in there before. I guess you could look at thier web site if this would help you any. If you end up buying one, you won' t regret it. We were lucky enough to find a used one and it has worked great for small plots in the woods.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Most any lawn & garden store will carry them for small garden tractors. We have a local John Deere dealer that has them. Shop around a little to find the best price. Try to find one that has a steel pedastel that attaches the cutting discs to the frame. Mine were made of cast iron and one of them broke this year. I had to build a new one from scratch because cast iron can' t be welded. Took about 8 hours to do.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:09 AM

Tractor Supply Co. has a set of discs for 150 bucks that looks like it would work well behind a garden tractor or ATV. I wouldn' t get a plot master, too expensive and light weight. Once you get your plot disced it just gets easier. Good luck. [&:]
Old 11-05-2003, 08:34 AM
Spike

I have a set that cabelas sells. They have wheels on one side for transport and then flip it over for the discs. The problem with them is that if you do more than creep with them they want to crab walk behind the atv. I think the angle is to severe but it has no adjustment. Anyone have this problem with theirs and if so, what did you do to remedy it? By the way, when I say you have to creep, I mean a baby could crawl faster.

Thanks,
Old 11-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

after looking at the prices of the atv implements in the cabelas catalog, they seem to be about twice the price of the equivalent diesel farm tractor type of implement. and i have a feeling that they would take twice as long as a diesel tractor would. if you are just planting 1-3 acres of new ground, you might want to consider having/renting a real tractor to get the initial groundbreaking done. the successive years wouldn' t require such intensive groundwork, you could probably make your own atv implements for 1/3 the cost (assuming your time is free) of the cabelas prices.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:20 PM

oh man....this is great info guys..thanks so much. there are two TSC' s near me, one I pass up on my way to one of my hunting spots. I will certainly check it out.
I will be hitting you guys up later on too for more information about planting. I haven' t taken in a soil sample yet, but found the place to bring it a couple days ago. I am fired up! good luck,
beej

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.