Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

[Deleted]

Old 10-31-2003, 09:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sun is lower clover fizzled...no deer interested

Rack -

Don' t loose hope - when the rut really starts to heat up - No food plot is that great. True - clover wane' s a bit in the fall compared to cereal grains or corn - but as long as the snow' s not to deep - it' ll get some use- and it will be very beneficial at greenup.

Also - the summer plot really helps to form " core areas" for doe family groups - and - if all goes well - basic bedding patterns are set and you learn to hunt them. The food plots REALLY make a huge difference after a few years in the program. Mixing up plots, even if they are only 1/4 acre can help too.

Keep at it - you will not regret it.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:04 PM

If your in an area with a very good mast crop this year or if a farm close by is cutting corn thats where they moved to . They will be back to the clover when the peak of these other food source start to dwiddle.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Most all deer reduce their protein consumption of protein in the fall/winter months, they start looking for carbs for energy. It may pick up after rut when there' s nothing else for them to eat...
Old 11-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-04-2003, 01:01 PM

Rack, this has been my experience as well. In the fall the clover stops being an attractant. Even when there is nothing else for the deer to eat. I don' t know what everyone else does but in my opinion you are wasting your time hunting travel corridors to clover plots in the fall. It just doesn' t happen. You would think once a draw for the deer always but that has just not been my experience. We can go from seeing 30 deer to seeing 3 on 5 acres and nothing has changed, no acorns, no other grain fields. I guess I will have to start planting something that they desire come October and November.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My clover plot is the opposite this year my first.The deer are hammering it right now even though some frosts have it.I fertilized in early Sept,don' t know if that made a difference or not.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]