Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Leaves....Leaves...LEAVES!!!

Old 09-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Leaves....Leaves...LEAVES!!!

I set up a small access path cornering a woodlot, where small tractors go from field to field. I used No-Plow, and Biologic Green Patch Plus on that particular spot. One on each half of the path. The total area is 50' by 10' , so a total of 500 sq ft. The plot has been growing well, until the leaves have begun to fall. Some of the growth has been inhibited, and I will be in thw woods tomorrow for the last time before season starts in two weeks. I am not going to bring in a leaf blower, but Im stumped cause it is just the beginning of the fall. One thing I can say is that the area was properly taken care for the plantings, and the green patch is doing far better, at growth, being browsed, and actually better with the leaves, as the plants are generally in better shape when I clear the leaves. What to do?Have any of you had to deal with this?
Old 09-30-2003, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leaves....Leaves...LEAVES!!!

With that size of plot couldn' t you just sweep or rake the leaves off of the plot?
A good wind should do the job for you if it' s dry outside.

Dan O.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally - I wouldn' t worry about it. In the woods, it just going to be leaf covered some of time. Thats Ok - the leaves keep the moisture in the ground, and the plot lush and as fall progresses - the plot will be more and more dormant.

On dry days, the leaves will blow around and the plot will get enough light.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with farm hunter, it' s no big deal, the plot will still grow and the deer will still visit it. Good Luck.