Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leaves

Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Leaves

I've read two articles, now, in the last two weeks.....touting NOT overlooking Maple trees (when the leaves turn red and fall) as food sources. The last article said deer would forego a green bean field for these delicacies.

Do you know where these trees are on you land? I have NO FREAKIN IDEA.....lol. Never thought of it.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leaves

Deer do eat maple leaves. I don't know where they fall in their order of preference though. Maples are pretty easy to identify, the leaves are obviously different than oaks, ash, hickory, beech, birch, etc. I'm sure an on-line search will find you some ID info.

You'll find maples mixed in with other forest trees on some drier sites, and you can find stands dominated by maples (red maples) on wetter sites. Then again, your hunting area may have few to no maples. If that's the case, and you have deer in your hunting area, don't worry about maples. They're always eating something, so key in on what they are feeding on.

For the first couple weeks of my archery season, it seems white oak acorns are the preferred food.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every were, the most common tree in my woods.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

The author was talking baout hunting while there were still green bean fields. He said the deer would, for a short time, leave the still green beans and feed on the leaves if they were abundant. Then....they'd go back to the beans.

I know what a maple looks, like..lol....but I've never viewed them as a food source for the deer I'm hunting.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

By the time the leaves drop here the deer are scared out of there wits, good to know for future trips though.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Bartender

Once the beans turn brown which is by fall and before the leaves fall they dont hit them much until late season if they are still around and other food sources diminish.

Hey sport you been catching any big bass this year?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have most definetely seen them eat them. Mainly on immature trees that still have the leaves on them (green and red). I don't ever remember seeing them eating leaves off the ground though after they have fallen.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 AM

One of my favorite spots is an inside corner with a stand of maple trees. I see deer cutting this corner all the time, but I've never once seen them eating the leaves.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Site Buck Guru

They love maple leaves. I've mostly seen them eat the green sugar maple leaves off of the smaller saplings. It must have something to do with the sugar content of the leaves. This is well before leaf drop.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

The article was saying (most recent one I read in D&DH) that it was due to the sugar content.....and that the most sugar was in the ones most recently fallen. It even went into how they could tell the difference in color (I "think"....but could very well be mistaken....but they were believed to like the red ones, best.....meaning already turned) between the brown/yellow-ish and red leaves (actually not worrying about color, come to think of it...). I think they said they could tell the ones they liked by smell, alone (based on sugar content). Amazing.

It's an interesting article if you get the rag and have a few minutes. It's pretty short. They said deer would frequent these trees to find the most tasty leaves....then move on. It also said fallen leaves were a food source for most all whitetails. That's something I've never considered.

Quick Reply: Leaves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.