Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

those dang leaves!

Old 11-11-2004, 05:47 AM

Default those dang leaves!

hate it when the leaves are dry and sound like you are walking around on a box of corn flakes on each step. every deer in the county has got ot hear you walking around while scouting.ever wonder how many deer you dont see slip out of the area? even when you go in at early afternoon to get set up it stinks for the evening hunt. the only good thing about it is you can sure hear them also once the woods settle down after you are in your stand.hate those dang leaves!
Old 11-11-2004, 06:36 AM

Default RE: those dang leaves!

Deer are used to hearing leaves rustle, I think the trick is to not sound like a biped (human), I have snuck up on does just to see how close I could get. I took a step only when she took a step or was chewing, or a gust of wind came through, they would usually look when I stepped but if they don't see movement they probable won't bolt, but every situation and location can be differant, It's slow and exhasting but take a step and pause for 30 sec. or so then a couple more and pause again. look where you want to step and put your toes down first and slide you foot forward to avoid snapping twigs, NO HEALS If you have a grunt call blow it softly every now and then. Stop, Look, and Listen.
I think from my own experiences that deer key on movement and scent, not on sounds and colors.

Just my opinion, Ty
Old 11-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take 2 canes with you.walk with them,It sounds like a four legger
Old 11-11-2004, 11:43 AM

I have learned from experience that if you shuffle your feet slowly it sounds like a coon or other small 4 legged animal and the deer are not alarmed. I have done this and gotten as close as 5 yards before I was busted by my movement. try it it works you just have to go slow.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

I raked a trail to my stand Sunday afternoon and have seen many more deer this week by slipping in without a sound. As I walked in the dark Tuesday morning they were all around me and no idea I was there. The other cool thing is you don't need a flashlight because the contrast between the dirt and leaves is enough to see where you're going.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I raked a trail to my stand Sunday afternoon and have seen many more deer this week by slipping in without a sound. As I walked in the dark Tuesday morning they were all around me and no idea I was there. The other cool thing is you don't need a flashlight because the contrast between the dirt and leaves is enough to see where you're going.
Now you and i think alot alike!! Just did that on wednesday and killed a big 8pt, no pics though No camera, and no one to take a photo with me in it.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tbonecpa

I raked a trail to my stand Sunday afternoon
That's brilliant...I think I'll have to do that tonight when I go back to deer camp, then again, the noise I make there might scare everything in a mile radius...dang.

Good thinking though tbone, I'll have to remember that for next year

3 years ago, the leaves going to my stand were very crisp and of course I made a lot of noise walking in, but I was no sooner sat down in my stand when I could here walking in the leaves in the distance, it took about 30 minutes for that deer to make it all the way to me. He came within 20 yds of me and stomped to get me come out (he obviously didn't know I was there) but it was still dark and I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe, but the point is, it was curious at what was walking in the woods and came to check it out. He finally gave up and slowly walked away.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Humans walk with the intent of going somewhere. Our steps are faster and more deliberate then anything else in the woods. Cattle, armadillos, and everything else just kind of mosey allong, not in any particular hurry. They don't seem to follow any particular path. I try to do the same thing when I am approaching my setup. I shuffle my feet, probably like 1dahunter, trying to mimic what a cow would sound like. Deer hear them all the time, so they don't get concerned.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have raked the leaves before. Works good.the only thing I found that was not so good.The other hunters used it and walked right past my stand
Old 11-11-2004, 04:51 PM

Rakeing the trail is alright if your not worried about somesome finding your stand.
I'm on posted prop and I live across the street but I still wouldent make a trail to any of the stands
Walk slow and soft or do the shuffle.

Quick Reply: those dang leaves!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.