Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 What to plant in rocky no till terrain? >

What to plant in rocky no till terrain?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant in rocky no till terrain?

Old 08-26-2003, 01:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default What to plant in rocky no till terrain?

My hunting land is very sloping and has chunk limestone laying around everywhere. We can' t till and it' s heavily timbered (very shady). There are some limited openings to use. It' s been burned in the past and could broadcast plant something after the next burn. I was wondering what some of you " experts" had up your sleeve in tough situations like this? We have turkeys too if that makes a difference although I' m interested primarily in the deer.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:49 AM

Default RE: What to plant in rocky no till terrain?

Sooner, that decription fits a lot of NE Oklahoma. Think about the native species that do well...big blue stem, little blue, side oats...the forbs that do well are harder to know...

Id suggest you call the manager of the Nature Conservancy ranch just north of Pawhuska. They could help. Recognize if you till at all, you will create a perfect environment for Musk Thistle and sericia lespedeza to invade. Both are highly invasive noxious weeds.

Look into korean lespedeza, ladino clover, and brassicas.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to plant in rocky no till terrain?

I agree with woodust. My back 35 acres is just as you described it. Bird' s Foot Trefoil and clover are seeding themselves under those conditions.

Dan O.