Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

%$&()&* weeds!!!! Help!!!!!

Old 07-21-2003, 10:32 AM

Default RE: %$&()&* weeds!!!! Help!!!!!

Okay, so the more I read the more I get confused. I was always under the impression that if I disked a plot to plant no matter what I sprayed on it there would be a certain amount of weed activity. Now I noticed that whitetail1 stated that he would disc in the spring and spray the weeds all year and then lightly drag and plant. This makes sense that maybe not as many weeds would germinate only after dragging. However, my question was will the dragging only after a plot as set all year be enough to provide a suitable seed bed. I know there is no easy answer or everyone would have weed free plots but I am looking for the best way to minimize the wees and gresses from the get go. So in response to this question what does everyone think is the best way to minimize up front.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:08 AM

i have not had a problem with the seed bed not being suitable. i also do a lot of frost seeding and the ground has never been disced. i do this with clovers,alfalfa,treefoil,rape. my corn,bean,peas and wheat plots the seeds are disced in. i have also planted clover by mowing an area and spraying with roundup and spreading the seed into the grasses and weeds. as the weeds die and fall over they act like a mulch.now if one of these companys would just come out with a roundup ready clover.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:09 AM

Uncle Al,

Our land is in the South East corner of Adams county. About 15 minutes north-east of the Dells. It' s pretty sandy country by us.

Whitetail

If you disk in the spring and spray all summer, when approximately are you planting then? It makes sense. Being selfish, I was hoping I could get a good plot established right away. I have heard horror stories of fall plantings never coming up, I guess I would rather have a field of dirt rather than a field of weeds.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:45 AM

it depends on what i am planting and the weather. with an annual i try and plant the first week of august and the clovers,alfalfa,treefoil i plant mid august. all this depends on soil moisture. if its been a real dry summer i might wait a few more weeks. i find that with the clovers and alfalfas that fall plantings will not be much of a draw during hunting season the first year. the plots thicken up the following spring and are a good draw for the life of the plot.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:43 AM

Wow...this is a thread of true opportunity.

You have gotten some good pointers. Let me add some other ideas. Alfalfa and grass , especially crab grass or foxtail, are a bad combo due to the growth habits of each. Herbicides can help.

Poast Plus is available from Farm Chemical dealers. You can spray this on alfalfa and kill just the grass. There is also a product called Select that will do a great job on grass with no alfalfa damage.

Roundup is a great tool but remember it only impacts growing plants, no soil residual weed control at all. And the idea you can spray often and all a season then be weed free is impossible. The seeds are in the soil and you have to fight them to a degree.

What you want to accomplish is stand establishment of the legume before the weeds have a headstart. Dont get all hung up on the weeds as a good stand of alfalfa will compete in the long run. With that in mind, fall rounduping will work on the grasses and perrenials, followed by a spring roundup application...then lightly work and PLANT IMMIDIATELY...you want the alfalfa to get started at same time weeds do, not give weeds a head start. We can successfully plant alfalfa very early in spring. And a cover crop of oats is a good idea..plant them at same time.

Broadleaf weed control is a seperate issue but with luck this will help in your efforts.