Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting whole corn as food plot?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Spike

How much is some good seed corn that regular farmers use to plant?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roundup ready seed is high. I get it from a buddy who plants 800 acres, so it doesnt cost me anything. Not really sure of the price.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roundup Ready this year was $140 - $200 for a bag. (80000 kernals) - depending on Growing Days. Planted with a planter - this will plant 2-3 acres in rows.

Without the right equipment, and soil prep - in my experience - there is nothing easy about growing corn.

In my area - nothing less than 2 acres has corn that the ears last until hunting season.

FH
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

The problem with feed corn as seed is that it is somewhat 'inbred' and will show the recessive traits, thus not produce as well. One quarter of the production would be very optimistic to expect.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Spike

Corn fields will bring the deer into an area for awhile. We have roughly an 80acre field surrounded on two sides by the biggest river in my area of georgia. Around early october we had to cut the whole field because we had abnormal amouts of rain here and the field sat in water causing us to lose some but we got the bulk of our crop out in time. For about a month after its cut the deer will stay because of all the loose kernals scattered throughout but right now they dont come in to feed cause its all gone or either ruint laying on the ground. Planting corn will work but even in our large field deer wont hang round after you cut it and you MUST cut it eventually. We havnt found anything other than grass seed (alfalfa,clover) that will last you throughout the entire season. If I were you id just continue what your doing basically supplementing the deer with corn and maybe try grass seeds on a couple acres around that area. Ive all but give up trying to farm deer in any way..no salt licks no feeders nothing. Stuff costs to much nowdays so I just find what nature makes abundant here which is a white oak and sit beside it .
Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Banned

growing corn is a science..takes alot of work...see what grows around the area and plot that, if its corn, better get some help.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Buy seed corn or don't waste your time. Get a soil test and tell them what you want to grow, or don't waste your time. 1 stalk of corn will require 50 gallons of water to reach maturity. make sure you get enough rainfall.

They are high nitrogen feeders, but there may be lime needed as many micronutrients also, boron, magnesium etc. Do you know a local grower? ask for help, or just plant a food plot.

Corn will bring them in during the season, but it wont help you grow your deer when they need the nutrition the most, late winter, spring ans summer.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Food plot

I just have to ask. Is this your real photo?

Originally Posted by Horacio
Interesting question and now I'm curious....I've seen it happen a few times but it always seems to get knocked down. By the end of hunting season I usually have sprouts in the bed of my truck, heh.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Spike

I wanted to ask for some sugestions on planting corn. I have looked over other postings, but not able to find details on the best way to plant for the purpose of a food plot. I have planted food plots for the last many years, but never corn. I purchased a new 20 acre parcel of land last year and it has three plots of corn of around 1 acre of size already on it (also has 3 other food plots, pines, swamp, and a section of woods). I want to keep planting the corn, however not sure how. I have a atv with a disc, spreader, sprayer, and roller. Based on looking at Ed's book, I was going to broadcast the seed around mid May. I was thinking of brodcasting the seed, I know it would be thicker, not sure if this would limit the growth. I was going to use 200 lbs of 20-10-10 fert- I need to check around to see who has it. My questions-
1- so far, am I on track?
2- Do I just use field corn? or Round-Up ready corn? pro's/con's
3- Do I need to spray? with what and when ? I don't mind the weeds but will spraying give me a better crop?

Thanks for any help that can be offered!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

This year my biggest struggle with getting my corn to grow was keeping the weeds in check. I bought round-up ready soybeans and a cheaper grade corn seed-$130 bushel. The soybean field was much easier to maintain, the corn however was restricted by weeds that grew even after I had sprayed, plowed and sprayed again then planted corn. I spent more in herbicides than I would have had I bought the round-up ready corn and round-up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.