Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting whole corn as food plot?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default Planting whole corn as food plot?

I have a feeder on my property that goes off nearly all year around and this year while spraying out regular old feed corn from a MFA 50 pound bag, some of the corn germinated and grew. Some even got about 4-5 foot tall with its own corn. With this, shouldnt I be able to till up some of my ground for a food plot, use my drill and use regular feed corn for a food plot?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Spike

Come on guys! I need your help!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting question and now I'm curious....I've seen it happen a few times but it always seems to get knocked down. By the end of hunting season I usually have sprouts in the bed of my truck, heh.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by osagematt
Come on guys! I need your help!
First, how about a little patience? No one is sitting around waiting for a question to pop up so they can answer. It’s mid December, you have time.

As to your question, seems to me you answered it already. Yes, some will grow and produce. It won’t likely be as productive as seed corn, and may be more susceptible to diseases, fungus, insects and other things that can ruin a stand of corn. It’s cheaper and will work, but there’s a reason farmers buy seed corn.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Spike

I wasnt trying to be demanding, i was just really curious. You dont have to be rude about, we are all fellow outdoorsman and I just get fired up when the talk of hunting, food plots, or anything else gets brought up! And to the discusion, I think the corn only gets knocked over because there isnt enough planted. Maybe more is better?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by osagematt
I wasnt trying to be demanding, i was just really curious. You dont have to be rude about, we are all fellow outdoorsman and I just get fired up when the talk of hunting, food plots, or anything else gets brought up! And to the discusion, I think the corn only gets knocked over because there isnt enough planted. Maybe more is better?
I didn't think I was being rude, just mentioning a little patience is required, it was only 10:30 in the morning.
I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as corn getting knocked over, or how that relates to the question.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Horacio
Interesting question and now I'm curious....I've seen it happen a few times but it always seems to get knocked down. By the end of hunting season I usually have sprouts in the bed of my truck, heh.
Knocked over by deer, I think its because there is only a few stalks so they deer hit them hard. If there was more corn planted then they all couldnt get attention, therefore they all wouldnt look like they were being knocked down
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Feed corn will not have the hybrid vigor of seed corn. You can grow it, but don't expect it to look tall and grow big ears like a farm field.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Spike

Would they have ok ears and be pretty tall if I fertilized with nitrogen? Or average fertilizer?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hybrid feed corn that is bought for feeders will not produce much of a yeild at all. Actually its a waste of time and money. Much better off buying a bag of seed corn to plant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.