HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Planting whole corn as food plot?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
toyota4x4
Spike

Corn fields will bring the deer into an area for awhile. We have roughly an 80acre field surrounded on two sides by the biggest river in my area of georgia. Around early october we had to cut the whole field because we had abnormal amouts of rain here and the field sat in water causing us to lose some but we got the bulk of our crop out in time. For about a month after its cut the deer will stay because of all the loose kernals scattered throughout but right now they dont come in to feed cause its all gone or either ruint laying on the ground. Planting corn will work but even in our large field deer wont hang round after you cut it and you MUST cut it eventually. We havnt found anything other than grass seed (alfalfa,clover) that will last you throughout the entire season. If I were you id just continue what your doing basically supplementing the deer with corn and maybe try grass seeds on a couple acres around that area. Ive all but give up trying to farm deer in any way..no salt licks no feeders nothing. Stuff costs to much nowdays so I just find what nature makes abundant here which is a white oak and sit beside it .