Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Starting An Outfitter

Old 11-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default Starting An Outfitter

Hello, I am a Agri Business Major at the University of Arkansas. I was wondering how feasible it is to buy 300 or 400 acres and start an outfitter? I realize 300 or 400 acres would be small, but is there enough money to be made off of that to pay a loan back? I would also like to find out if it were to be free range would you be able to sustain a number of quality deer? Also, I figure it would take 3 to 4 years to get a good healthy herd is this a realistic amount of time, and how would you go about paying a loan back while you have the down time?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

A lot depends on what is already on the property, but I doubt you could make payments. Leasing a large tract on a multiple year lease might work. You need something besides just deer, maybe waterfowl, fishing, turkey, horseback riding in the summer or something else to get the most out of the land..
Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Spike

Middle Smithfield business owners Mal and Marge Law have a business plan that is uncommon these days. It's going full circle.

The owners of Starting Gate Action Sports, a seasonal outfitter, are liquidating their stock in a big sale this weekend, offering discounts of up to 50 percent off in some cases. After the sale, the business will move from its 5200 Milford Road location back to where it started — sharing the Pocono Indian Museum building about two miles farther north on Route 209. The store will reopen in June.

There are many reasons for the move that will lead to downsizing of space from the 10,000 square feet it occupied for the past 12 years to the tighter confines: reducing taxes and energy expenses.

"I have very mixed feelings," said Marge Law, who handles the apparel end while Mal handles the ski equipment. "People knew to come here. We worked hard to build this up."

"I'm looking forward to it," said Mal. "I'm comfortable at the old store and have more control because it's easier than running a business at two buildings."