Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best perennial food plot

Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default Best perennial food plot

Iam going start a food plot next spring in Maine and i was wondering what the best choice for a perennial plot would be
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

You should first take a soil test. You may need to lime your soil, and that is critical for perennial crops. Clover and alfalfa make great perennial food plots on well drained ground, but they need a pH of 6.3+ for clover and 6.8+ for alfalfa.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

I was looking for a brand and a specific blend like biologic premium perennials or something like that
Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 AM
Typical Buck

If there was a best, there would only be one, because that's all anyone would plant. The best is what works best for you, and that could take some experimenting. The picture on the bag doesn't make a difference.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

It is usually cheaper to buy your seed individually from a local coop, or online from a source such as welter seed. There is no difference between the seed in a premium blend marketed to food plot growers, or seed grown by farmers.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

clover for a 1st time plot -
I like Imperial Whitetail clover to start 0
Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Spike

Default my thoughts

Soil testing is certainly the first and the most critical.

As far as what to plant I've had better success with Imperial Clover and Imperial Chicory Plus.

If you want a deer attracting fall annual try Winter-Greens. I've planted it in a couple areas for the past 2 years and it's a late season hotspot.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Buster
Old 01-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Spike

Me too Buster, our club has tried it all. I agree about the imp clover and wintergreen. We use both. Tried oats and a couple other grains this year in a couple areas and they winter killed early. I would stick with a base of perennials and add fall annuals for tonnage. If your pH is 6.3+ they will do well.

Otis