Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

whitetail institute clover ?????

Old 05-25-2003, 08:57 PM

Default whitetail institute clover ?????

planted some last fall...and it is coming up good,, killed 2 turkeys in it ...my ???? is when should i mow it? do i want to let it reseed its self... it is about knee high,, but not reseeding yet.. it is so thick when you look down in it there clover you can seee some yellow. clove. thats got me thinking i should mow it .. but if i do will it be ok??? if i mow it do i go ahead and put ferz on it ,,or put ferz on it in the late fall.....thats for the help.....
Old 05-26-2003, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whitetail institute clover ?????

Sounds like you did well.

First thing is you need to read up a little on clover plot maintenence. Go to the QDMA Page - you can get lots of good info there - http://www.qdma.com/articles/list.asp?CAT=FOOD

But........ in a nutshell - yes you should mow - if you end up having to rake off the cuttings, you may have to refertilize and or lime. Generally, I like to do several cuttings a year, and leave the cuttings on the field. A good rule of thumb for mowing is MEMORIAL DAY, 4th of JULY, and LABOR DAY. Obviously not neccesarily those days, but there about. mow to 4-6" tall is about right.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2003, 08:11 PM

farm hunter,, thanks for the help,,,thanks for the rule of thumb thing... i went out and look at it tonight, and it looks good but needs cut....iam not going to rake it .boy the deers are in there ever evening...thanks agian..wasp2
Old 05-29-2003, 12:14 AM

Apparently Farmhunter knows his stuff, all the neighbors have been bailing their first crop of hay for the year, started this monday in fact. Hows that for following the rule of thumb?
Just started mowing and clearing an area for my clover plot this weekend as well, fall planting.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Farm Hunter, You live in Caz? I Hunt in Caz, But in all actuality, I live near camden, about 45 min North
Old 05-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on the birds MDManiac - Tomorrow' s the last day - I wish I could go, I hunted very little this spring.

The Caz area hunting, and scenery is great, we' re luck to be able to hunt around here. Even the Public land is excellent.

Old 05-31-2003, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

I know farm hunter. Caz is great, and the scenery...remember opening day of shotgun last year, with the Ice storm? It was beautiful, and I was lucky enough to get a buck that day