Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mowing Clover Food Plot

Old 05-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default Mowing Clover Food Plot

I have a question. I have a feed plot about 3/4 acre in size planted with a clover mix from the National Wild Turkey Federation. The mix is made up of Alside clover, Red clover, Ladino clover and White clover. The plot is really doing good and the clover is about 10" to 12" high. This field is in the CRP program, and they tell me that I can' t mow it until about the second week of July, due to the possibility of nesting in the field. I can understand that, but my question is, when I mow it, will I have to rake the field, or can I just let the cut clover lay there. I don' t want to smother the clover. I would appreciate any advice I can get.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mowing Clover Food Plot

You have a very good question - and Yes you do not WANT to rake it off if you can help it. If you can use a rotary cutter (brushog) you just mow it slow and mulch it up, the clover will grow right up through any mulch - no problem. If you have to use a sickle mower - mow in two stages and let the clippings filter through befor the second mowing. I' ve seen where IWC says to rake off the cut clover (they must have stock in a fertilizer company!) Don' t do this unless you have to - Its important to realize the the clover stand contains as much as 50% of the nutrirnts available in the soil at any one time - if you remove it - tou MUST topdress, and LIME.

Good question, thanks for asking.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Bale if you can, then do a soil sample and lime and fertilize...
Old 05-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like mowing half of my plot and then hitting the other half two or three weeks later.

Good Luck!