Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Weeds/chicory

Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Weeds/chicory

Can anyone tell me what chemical would be best to kill all the grasses and weed but spare the chicory. It is a new growth of chic and coming in good. I did a test patch with MCPA Amine 500 and so far the chicory looks good after 2 days but will give it a week and see.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Weeds/chicory

Raptor is the only thing I'm aware of. The 2,4,D you used will likely kill all your chicory.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

See the thread on weeds in turnips. Same chemicals will work for both.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Raptor will work, but its very expensive. Around $600 or more bucks a gallon. If you have a small plot 1 acre or less, then another option would be Slay from WINA. You can purchase 4ozs for $52 dollars or a pint that treats up to 4 acres for $138. You will need a surfactant with those also. These are for broadleaf weeds only.

Clipping/mowing works fairly well on broadleaf weeds, depending on the weed.

The Poast or Arrow is for grass control which IMO is a bigger threat to Chicory.

Chicory is tough, Its been known to survive Round-up/Glyphosate. But 2,4,D will torch it!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Slay is just 2,4,db labeled by Whitetail Institute and marked up in price. A gallon of Butyrac (2,4,db) costs $40, so that’s the more economical way to go. Regardless, it will alsokill your chicory.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

What I used the Amine 500 over a week now did nothing to the chicory. If fact the chic grew another 3 inches LOL. The weeds took kicking but not the thistle i was try to get rid off. This stuff is about $ 50/gal and I used .5 gal to 25 gals of water
Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

Slay is just 2,4,db labeled by Whitetail Institute and marked up in price. A gallon of Butyrac (2,4,db) costs $40, so that’s the more economical way to go. Regardless, it will alsokill your chicory.

That is not correct. Pursuit is only slightly less $$$ than Raptor and available by the gallon. So unless you have 10 or more acres, or a friend to split it with, Slay is an option for a small food plotter.

BUTYRAC 200 BROADLEAF HERBICIDE IN ALFALFA & CLOVER - 1 GAL

PURSUIT GRASS & BROADLEAF HERBICIDE - 1 GAL (Same than SLAY!)

RAPTOR GRASS & BROADLEAF HERBICIDE - 1 GAL (Better than SLAY!)

Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

That is not correct. Pursuit is only slightly less $$$ than Raptor and available by the gallon. So unless you have 10 or more acres, or a friend to split it with, Slay is an option for a small food plotter.

BUTYRAC 200 BROADLEAF HERBICIDE IN ALFALFA & CLOVER - 1 GAL

PURSUIT GRASS & BROADLEAF HERBICIDE - 1 GAL (Same than SLAY!)

RAPTOR GRASS & BROADLEAF HERBICIDE - 1 GAL (Better than SLAY!)
You're absolutely right, my mistake. I'm not sure why I thought it was 2,4,db. It still seems to me that buying a gallan of Butyrac and a gallon of Arrow or Select is cheaper than buying Slay, Pursuit or Raptor. Including COC, everything can be had for under $200 and there's enough for multiple treatments. I'm going by memory here, but doesn't Whitetail Institute's web site say that Slay will kill chicory?