Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Chicory

Old 02-11-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Chicory

What do you guys think of Chicory as a small food plot?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chicory

Chicory is over-rated in my opinion. Its a bit fickle - and does not produce the biomass a good clover or brassica plot can. If you have a small plot - its probably not a wise choice.

I like it in a clover-mix. Its definitely liked by deer -and might help attract the deer to the plot - but its the clovers that get the results.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:08 PM

but its the clovers that get the results.
what are the results? nutrition, attraction, ???

i was thinking of planting chicory in a small hunting plot (1 acre), for early season bowhunting (1st part of oct.).. since chicory is somewhat drought-tolerant, i'm thinking that most years it would be a good early season forage b/c of the lack of rain in aug. and sept. in my area..

i'm planning multilple "hunting plots" (both blended and individual seed varieties) in addition to a 10 acre clover "food plot".. i'm trying to "compete" w/ nearby ag. fields that are either corn or soybeans --- late summer:deer love the beans and early fall: deer love the corn...

any suggestions for an early fall hunting plot??
Old 02-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

strmczr -

As far as results - I was only considering "tonnage" -and after posting, I was surprised to learn how much yield chicory can attain - its more than I thought - but still not up to clover - most of the year.

In your situation with a 10 acre clover field nearby - chicory could be a good coice. Still I'd recommend an annual blend.

Here is a link for one type - sounds like you plant it like clover - but add Nitrogen a couple times per year (not all at planting!)

http://www.modernforage.com/forfeast.htm

Good luck with it - I'd be interested in anyone's results with Chicory as well.

FH