Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too Wet to plant???????

Old 05-14-2003, 07:09 AM

Default RE: Too Wet to plant???????

Farm Hunter keep us updated. Did you get it out yet and how? I had to let a big " wow" out when I seen the picture. Only thing that could be worse if it is near a river that is rising. In my area, very little corn is out yet due to the wet spring.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:25 PM

I keep coming back here to see if you got the tractor out yet and noticed all the rocks in the picture. Are you going to have a rock gathering ( bunch of friends) again this year? [&:] Rocks are the only crop I can grow better than you. terry
Old 05-15-2003, 03:35 PM

I wounder. Why arn' t there any tire tracks leading up the the so called tractor? the grass behind the tires seams untouched. What kind of wheels are those tires mounted to? Could this possible be some tractor parts set in a wet field?[]
Old 05-15-2003, 03:47 PM

Hay,

Russ & Ballistictip, thanks for the info. My next chance to get up to my 40 acres of dirt ( north central Wi.) is Memorial Day weekend. I hope things are starting to grow so we can Round up the field for the first time. I plan to do it again the following weekend. and plant the weekend after that. Seed and let rain do the work? Do you think any of the No-Plow seeds will work if we can' t cut the grass or till? Otherwise I will try the Ryegrass & Lidino clover. Is there a great differance?
Thought I had a plan until I found out the field is very wet year around.
Any additional help would be GREAT.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allright - I almost feel a little bad posting it - its not my tractor - Its in a farmer' s field up the road ( still there too ) I' m 99% sure its a fake - but it got me, I stopped to take the picture you saw.

I thought it was kind of funny, hope others find a little humor in it too..

Really, we' re about 1/2 way through spring planting - and it has been wet. I' ll start another post updating our spring planting.

Old 05-18-2003, 07:40 AM

UncleAl,
The plot where I have the ladino and Kentland red has been sloppy wet since January, but the stuff still grows. The Ladino is covered with blooms but the Kentland has very few. After checking closely, I found that the deer were keeping it cropped so well that a bloom doesn' t stand a chance. Almost had a tractor as in Farmhunter' s post, tried to clip the grass prior to spraying it. Front end went down, very carefully backed out and decided to wait a few more drying days. I think I have a 90% kill on the grass so will have to spray once more to finish it. It' s been a very wet spring with very little sun to dry anything out.
Russ
Old 05-18-2003, 11:57 PM

Farmhunter, you really hooked me. I took the bait, the sinker, the bobber and about 10ft. of line. You are definitely a rascal and a scamp. And I was all weepy about your tractor. [:@][:' (][&:]
Old 05-19-2003, 07:32 PM

Russ,
Going back up north to my our piece of dirt (or I should say MUD) this weekend. Hope it has started to green up so we can kill it.

Thank for the info.

Uncle Al