Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Yard Clover update

Old 04-28-2003, 07:15 PM

Default Yard Clover update

Just checked the clover tranplants and found thst the blooms are seeding out. there is new clover coming up all around the original transplants. My stepson believes that this is Ladino clover that is in our yard. I can' t tell the difference if it isn' t. Every spadefull that I moved has survived. I have never limed or fertilized it, and it' s growing like crazy. The place that I put it has a seep that keeps the ground constantly wet. Will have another update in about 30 days.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yard Clover update

Russ I just did the same thing.We' re going to see how well it does.Right now we' re keeping part of it fenced to see how well it does.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:14 AM

The thing I like about this clover is how well it does in shade. In fact, it grows better in shade than it does in full sun. I have a spot away from the house under a Pine that is about 12 inches tall. It' s taking some time for it to adjust to where I transplanted it. None is dying, but it hasn' t rooted good enough to really start spreading. The blooms are beginning to seed out and that might bring on more seed started clover. Guess it won' t be an overnite thing. May take all summer to see results.

Russ
Old 05-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Rus and you got to love the price.LOL I was able to get some seed pods from around my town and I planted that too.Can' t wait to see what happens.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:09 AM

FlDeerman, between showers I managed to set out over 36 Persimmon seedlings in the timber. Dan O. gave me a way to encourage the seeds to sprout and then they did it on their own, plenty of sprouts under the two trees in the yard. Ive got to go back and mark them so I can monitor their growth. I/m just a few miles from the Tenn line and from the news you can see the storms we are experiencing. I guess I' m planting for the grandchildren as I will be 80 by the time these trees mature. I may be an optimist, but I also must be a realist. I' m in a very rural area, mostly timber and most open fields lay fallow. But I haven' t seen a deer harvested in the area that weighed over 160lbs. for 6-8 years. Hope the plots will help that. Saw a preg. doe and a spike in a clover plot last eve. The rain has let up, may get out and see what damage I can do.

Russ
Old 05-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great you' ve got the rain we' re getting none.Yes I know how you' re getting rain,I have two sons in Jackson Tenn.,sweated bullets for a few days.