Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plot advice

Old 04-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Food plot advice

Hey guys new to the site! All help is appreciated!
Im not new to hunting, but this will be my first year having to manage my own land. Well let me rephrase that, its a buddys land and he told me i could hunt for free if i helped pay for plots and manage them. Fine by me, been paying $950 a year to hunt with my uncle on a lease in Louisiana.
I was just looking for advice on what has been succesful and fairly low maintenace in Alabama. I am only goin to be able to make it to the land one, possibly two, weekends a month so i need something fairly maintenance free.

I need everything guys: brands, types of seed, and even pointers on how and when to plant!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Buddy
Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Food plot advice

My favorite plot mix is to plant Buck Forage Oats mixed with a little wheat around the end of September. Then overseed the plot the same day with Yucci Arrowleaf clover. The clover will start getting big enough to graze in late Jan, when the does are being bred and the bucks are being stressed with the rut. It provided good forage till the natural foods start coming out in the spring, and it will reseed. You can just cut it in the next year when you plant the oats and wheat. It helps build the soil up also.
The Yucci Arrowleaf clover was specially developed for the southern sandy soils. It is a white clover.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

If you was wanting to start a plot now you could go with a mix of 40lbs of cowpeas, 10lbs of Lablab, and 5lbs of grain sorgham per acre. That might get you by till late summer and then follow Timbers recommendation which I believe is going to be hard to beat.

I would seriously consider getting a soil test ASAP just to give you some idea what you are working with and save you allot of money down the road.

Good luck!!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 AM

Thanks guys!