Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Alfalfa...frost

Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Alfalfa...frost

Im assuming if frost hits for just a day or two, alfalfa will re-inititate growth when the weather warms up? Im not worried about last year's clover, because from what Ive always seen, cloverusually breaks dormancy early and regenerates fine after a nightly frost or two.. Im worried about the alfalfa more. I know its a hardperennial to establish anyway, but hopefully the roots will recover.. The temps are going back up, but it was snowing today ![:'(]Any thoughts?

edit: its not like the top growth will be killed off, because its only just starting to come up. Just worried about the seedlings trying to sprout up.

Thanks for any info/insight onthis

Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Alfalfa...frost

Good question Bowman, Alfalfa seedlings are very hardy but they do have limitations. There are allot of variables. Probably the most important in your situation is how low the temperature dipped, 26 degrees and lower for several hours could cause severe damage. At the same time soil temp, surrounding vegetation and snow could insulate the seedlings from damage. It will take 3 to 5 days to determine what if any damage has occurred.

One other thing, extremely wet, waterlogged ground has a greater chance of killing both established and newly planted alfalfa. JM2C
Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a few days and see how its doing
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for ya on this one. We had perfect weather last week, and our clover/rye is coming in very well, but now we're hit with multiple mornings in the mid to upper 20s and snow squalls during the day. Luckily, I'm only dealing with regrowth from last year, and not new plantings. Hopefully your alfalfa pulls through.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM

It will hurt the tonage as anything that is up will die and it will have to regrow. We had this happen a few years back and it basically eliminates one cutting of hay. I know this is probably for a food plot, but it still means the deer will have less to eat. I'm not sure what it will do with need seeding I really doubt it will affect it that much, but it won't be great on it.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

MGH PA, thanks I hope it pulls through too. Either way I have a back up plan and some extra seed.

IADeerHuner16, that makes sense,I'm going to check on it tomorrow morning. Luckily I haven't really started planting everything yet, just this little strip of alfalfa and clover.
------------

With the warmer weather we were having the last couple weeks (high 60's),I was hoping to get the roots established a little before a night time frost showed up. Oh well, thats what happens when youplay with nature.We had2 back to backnight time frosts on Wednesday and Thursday.
Both 28 degrees.Thankfully its backin 60's now, and will befor the entireupcoming week... However, there is 1 "freeze watch" Sunday (says the weatherman )