Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot advice

Old 12-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Food Plot advice

I live in Southern Indiana andwas wondering what companies people have had success with and what you planted. This will be for Whitetails. The food plot will end up being about 2-4 acres.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 PM

Default RE: Food Plot advice

Hey There,

I have looked into a ton of companies and they all seem quite good, whitetail inst., tecoma etc... I found this company and they sell a bunch of wildlife seeds and individual clover seeds as well as mixtures and their prices are not bad.

http://www.outsidepride.com

Check out their clover, deer food and pasture/wildlife seeds on the left of the site.

I am leaning towards using their seeds for my Vermont food plots.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried several different blends from numerous different companies, some have been good and some have been not so impressive.

I've actually seen more impressive results from Tecomote products compared to BioLogic, Whitetail Institue, Plot Spike and other lesser known names.

Obviously, the key to a successful plot is proper soil PH. You get the correct amount of lime and fertilizer in your soil and your plots are going to look impressive no matter whose products you use. In my opinion, this is THE most important aspect of ANY plot.

The first question you need to ask is wether you want/need a nutritional plot for the spring/summer stress period or a fall/hunting plot. Of course, with a plot the size of the one you mentioned.... you may have the option of a few different plantings by dividing the plot up?

I personally prefer to have an assortment of available forages for my local herd. Every season I try different blends and plantings to see if there is truly a favorite for my local deer. Thus far, the most effective spring/summer plot regarding nutrition is a top quality clover blend like Tecomote Monster Mix. The most effective Fall/hunting plot I've found is either Soybeans, Forage Oats and very late into the season a Brassica based planting like Tecomote Ultra Forage of BioLogic Maxum or Green Patch Plus can be very attractive.

An excellent source of food plot info can be found on the QDMA forums and you may also want to check out the excellent book "Grow 'Em Right"?

I love food plots abd they've become as addicting to me as trail cams are! LOL!

Here's a successful Forage Oats plot from this season that my deer love. As you can see, they even dug through 12" of snow to get to the Oats!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my Brassica planting this season. This planting is actually a combination of Forage Oats blended with Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus. It's done very well especally considering the serious lack of rain fall this year and considering it's late planting date.

Here are the brassica bulbs that the plot produced. These pix were taken on Christmas Eve.