Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sawtooth Oaks

Old 10-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Sawtooth Oaks

I just ordered 115 bare root sawtooth oak seedlings. Anyone have any experience in this? I'm planting them everywhere around 3 different properties. They're supposed to be producing in 3-5 years? Any do's or don'ts that yall have...I'm all ears.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Spike

Default RE: Sawtooth Oaks

I heard thier an invasive species, like russian olive.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think they would be any more invasive than any other oak, and they are great wildlife food. I've seen them planted on Alabama state park land by the state.

Just dig a nicesizehole, make sure the roots are well covered, plant about the depth of the natural seedling was, water and hope you get some more rain during the first few months after you plant them. In a year or so nail in a Jobe tree spike fertilizer a couple of feet from the stem.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

So where did you buy them and how much were they ?
If you dont mind .. Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Tracker, I bought them from a grower in Michigan I believe it was. Go to coldstreamfarm.net and check it out. Just type in "sawtooth oak". If you order higher numbers, the price goes down. I got 115 and they were like 38 cents a piece. It's an awesome deal considering they'll be producing in 3-5 years.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Sawtooth oaks are good for a quick acorn yield. I have planted about 150 or so in the last 2 years. We order ours through the georgia forestry commission. planting times here are january and feb. make sure whan planting you dig deep enough for the roots to go all the way down without being bunched up. we pack our trees fairly tight, but make sure to leave an indention in the ground around the base of the tree to collect water(as in the pic). If you have any more wuestions or need any more pics just let me know. They grow very fast. Don't be discouraged when you receive the order. they will look like sticks, but they are not dead. they go into their dormant stage in cold weather.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks Gamespooker. I have mine coming in the first week of December. I'm a little south of you I think...hawkinsville ga...mid state. You think this is too early to plant them? I can have them postponed if need be. You plant them as soon as you got yours? And I heard soaking them before you plant is a good idea.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Don't be surprised if acorns don't show up for 7-8 years.
They have to be planted in open spaces to produce. If planted in woods under taller trees, they won't produce acorns.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Gunner16, December is not too early, but January is better to ensure they are dormant here in the South. They come already packaged with a moisture jel on the roots, so need to wet them. However, if the ground is dry when you plant them, and there's no rain on the way for several days, it would be helpful to water them after they're planted. The first summer is always hard on newly planted seedlings....they won't survive 5-6 weeks of no rain, which happens sometimes. The only way for them to survive is water them about a gallon(or more) if they go 3-4 weeks with no rain. I'm in Hawkinsville too.