Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Any success or lack thereof with Alfarack? >

Any success or lack thereof with Alfarack?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Any success or lack thereof with Alfarack?

Old 04-15-2003, 11:15 AM

Default Any success or lack thereof with Alfarack?

We are considering planting Alfarack for a fall plot. We had decent luck in the past with Imperial Clover, but we have a very sandy soil base. I was wondering what you all thought of Alfarack. A soil test has been done and submitted. I know liming will be needed, etc.

With the sandy soil in our region of central Wisconsin, they say that is exactly what Alfarack thrives in. With the high protein content and supposed flavor, it seems like a winner. I am aware as to what the ph needs to be etc.

I know I may be paying a little more for the name brand but I am hopeful that their field testing will pay off. If it does, it will be worth the extra money spent. After all, in a lot of cases, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Any success or lack thereof with Alfarack?

Kyler, I tried Alfarack last fall, planted on Labor Day weekend. Did not have anything to establish and am in the process of replanting the plot this spring. You said you wanted a fall plot and I am not sure if you mean you are going to plant this spring or in the fall. Anyway after we planted we had dry weather for two weeks before we received substantial rain. By that point, the middle of Sept., the day light hours are dwindling and our nights are turning cooler. I just think that planting in the fall is not much force unless you are substantially south. Plus if you look at the labels a lot of them recommend August so with my past experience I am somewhat skeptical.

I have planted imperial clover and have great success with it. However, we have always planted it in the spring and will probably continue to do so in the future. Good Luck
Old 04-17-2003, 04:45 PM

Thanks for your info. I plan on trying it anyway. By a fall plot, I meant that I would plant in the fall. We are planting about 100 yards away from our cabin and we have enough hose so it can be watered. This plot is more of a feeding plot, than a hunting plot. Just want to put something out to keep ' em around. I would rather plant in the spring to but I' m sure our soil isn' t going to be ready for that since we haven' t limed yet.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in central Minnesota and we have very sandy soil. Lime right away and plant it before June 1. The stuff will grow like mad and very established for the fall. The deer will be in there all summer. My plots are all food plots for the deer, not hunting over. They love them and its fun to put your game camera on them and see what shows up after dark, its amazing!!!

Just plant it before June 1

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2003, 06:04 PM

I' m concerned that the pH won' t be right if I plant now. I would like to but the lime won' t be in the soil good enough. I just got some other bad news. The guy who we used to get our lime from sold his business. He was only 3 miles away. The company in the area that delivers and spreads it now is 25 miles away. So now we' ll get stuck paying a lot more for the trucking.